When Emory & Henry opened its doors in the spring of 1838, students entered with the goal of acquiring an education. It wasn’t until the late nineteenth century that intercollegiate athletics was introduced on campus.
The first recorded athletic contest between Emory & Henry and another college was a baseball game against a neighboring college in the late 1870s. According to George Stevenson’s Increase in Excellence, the first reference to a sport being played on campus was football in 1878. Tennis followed in the early 1900s and basketball arrived in 1901. Once women joined the campus in full force after World War I, they established athletic teams as well.
In this Emory Memory, Craig McLaughlin shares with us some more great moments from Emory & Henry athletic's history.
Emory & Henry graduates go on to do meaningful, essential work in communities around the world. Thanks in part to our rigorous pre-professional programs, nearly a third enter graduate or professional school, often at the nation’s top universities. A growing number are starting their own businesses or teaming up to form new ventures. And a significant percentage of our alumni find leadership positions with nonprofits and service agencies.
Throughout its long history, Emory & Henry has been represented by graduates who have gone on to make a significant mark in their careers and their communities. Rachel Fogg, E&H class of 2012, introduces to a few of the distinguished individuals who called Emory home.
On September 30, 1836, area residents, contributors, and future trustees gathered at Emory & Henry for a ceremony to mark the founding of the College by the laying of the foundation for the main academic building known simply as “The College.”
The Reverend Thomas Catlett, who would join the Board of Trustees the following year, noted in his diary that during the ceremony a Bible, a Methodist discipline, a hymn book, and the names of the founders – Creed Fulton, Tobias Smyth, Alexander Findlay and William Byars - were placed in the cornerstone of the building. Thus Emory & Henry College came officially into being.
In October of 1835, members of the Methodist Episcopal Church met in Abingdon, Virginia for their annual conference. At this meeting, they appointed the Reverend Creed Fulton as chairman of a committee charged with finding a suitable site for its proposed college. In this first edition of Emory Memories, Tarah Taylor (news anchor - E&H Class of 2003) tells us how a conversation between Fulton and Tobias Smyth led to the college being located where it is today.