To Register with Academic Support Services
You should review the first two forms completely before filling out the Disability Disclosure Form and the Disability Accommodations Request Form.
The Director, in conjunction with the student, will create an Accommodation Plan each semester based on student eligibility as determined by the documentation. The following is a list, including but not limited to, possible accommodations granted through Academic Support Services:
- Extended time on tests in a less distracting environment
- Use of a computer while taking tests
- Use of a transcriber while taking tests
- Use of a reader while taking tests
- Use of an enlarger while taking tests
- Recorded or audio book – To qualify a student must have a documented learning disability impacting reading or visual impairment. Qualified students can use the following link to request textbooks in alternative format; students may mail this form, as well as a receipt as proof of purchase for requested books, to the Academic Support Services Office. Students may also bring receipts and come to the office to request help in filling out the following form.
- Use of Read & Write Gold as an auditory "reader" for texts
- Note takers
- Use of the student’s lap top in class for note taking purposes
- Preferential seating
- Having all instructions/directions in writing
- Making faculty aware of strategies to occasionally regain student's attention
- Foreign language course substitution for meeting the Core Curriculum foreign language proficiency requirement.
All students with accommodations are required to meet with their instructors, provide instructors with a copy of the accommodation plan, and return a signed copy of the signature form to the Powell Resource Center. Instructors are not required to provide accommodations to students until they have received a copy of the accommodation plan. The instructor's signature on the Signature Form signifies to the Director of Academic Support Services that the instructor has a copy of the accommodation plan.
If you have any questions contact the Director of Academic Support Services or call 276.944.6144.