A Man of Encouragement

Posted on: Wednesday, January 20th, 2016 by Monica Hoel
Charlie Sult (E&H '50) is a champion for education, and he uses his good heart to encourage young people to achieve their dreams and goals.

Charlie Sult (E&H ’50) doesn’t let the candles on his birthday cake snuff out his enthusiasm for encouraging students to pursue their education plans. At the age of 92, he is mentoring young people and providing thoughtful guidance on their journey from high school through college.

An active member of Cave Spring United Methodist Church, he connects with the talented youth at his church and gives them much-appreciated positive nudging to promote their journey toward a college education.

Charlie says he was inspired to start doing this when a young woman at his church lost her father to a heart attack two weeks before she was off to the Naval Academy. “I was led to do something to help her through a tough freshman year. I hope to attend her graduation in May.”

One of the young men he has mentored has just graduated from Emory & Henry College and is doing graduate work at ETSU. Dylan Johnson (E&H ’15) was touched by the encouragement Charlie offered him throughout his educational journey, but was thrilled that Charlie and his wife, Shirlie, made the trip from Vinton to Emory to see him graduate in 2015. Dylan says Charlie’s encouragement was selfless. “Charlie just simply wanted to be a part of my life with no questions asked. It was an awesome feeling knowing that I had someone, especially an E&H alumnus, that was looking out for me and who continues to be a part of my life. I'm forever grateful to Charlie and Shirlie for their love and allowing me to be a part of their family!”

Charlie has other young mentees who are doing well, including a recent Tech grad who is now a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army at Fort Benning,  a senior at the U.S. Naval Academy, a first –year student at Bergen County Community College, a first-year student at Virginia Tech, and one who is off for a mission in Latin America  before attending Duke University. 

Add Pingback