Phil Hoskins is Coach of the Year for a Reason

Posted on: Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 by Monica Hoel
Phil Hoskins ('87) is making his mark in the coaching world, and his students are leaving an indelible mark on his life.

Phil Hoskins (E&H '87)was just named the 2016 Marietta Daily Journal Coach of the Year for the second year in a row. He is the head track coach at McEachem High School in Powder Springs, Ga., where the girl’s track team was crowned the 2016 Georgia 6A Girls State Track Champions.  

Phil has been coaching football for 27 years, and coaching track for 17 years. He has just completed his 8th season at McEachern, and he doesn’t take any of his time for granted. “I learned at Emory & Henry to enjoy the moment, as it goes by very quickly.”

And his student athletes grow up very fast, but seeing them succeed is the part he likes best. “I enjoy seeing the athletes grow into great young men and women.  The best thing is when the athletes complete college and come back and help others or give suggestions on how to get prepared for the next level.  I have numerous athletes competing at universities on the east and west coast in football and track and field, and I have two trying to make the 2016 Olympic team.”

Phil is grateful to the coaches and mentors he had the honor to play under at Emory & Henry. “Having football coaches like Coach Selfe and Coach Johnson and Coach Wacker helped make the choice going into coaching much easier.  Seeing how dedicated they were to the school and their families helped motivate me to be the coach I am today. Emory & Henry has all the tools students will need to be successful once they graduate.” 

Photo: Phil is pictured on the far right end of the back row.

Add Pingback