E&H wallpaper is available for download to for all of the College's alumni and friends. To download an image click the link of the appropriate sized image. Once the image loads, right click for PCs and choose set as wallpaper from the menu. Mac users should hold the mouse button for two seconds over the image that loads, and choose "Save this image as" or "Download Image to Disk" from the menu that pops up.
Constructed in several phases between 1904-1908, this building originally was known as "Students Home." It was renamed in 1955 to honor the memory of Richard Green Waterhouse (Class of 1885), president of the College from 1893 to 1910 and later a Methodist bishop, and his stepson, Herbert M. Carriger, who died in 1900 while enrolled as a student at Emory & Henry.
Although Memorial Chapel is not old enough to be labeled historic, it is considered by many people to be one of the College's most handsome buildings. Constructed in 1957-58, the building was made possible by numerous gifts, large and small, from alumni and friends of the College. The building was named so as to be a memorial to everyone who has been connected with the life of the College.
The current building was constructed in 1929, but it had two predecessors on the same site. The first was a fairly stark four-story structure known as "The College" because it served multiple functions as a residence hall for students and faculty as well as an instructional building. During the 74 years that "The College" remained standing, it was the scene of some of the most colorful events in the life of Emory & Henry, including a tragic shooting during the Civil War. The building had been taken over by the Confederacy for use as a hospital.
Athletics has been part of life at E&H since the first students
arrived in 1838. Thomas "Bingo" Fullerton, hired as athletic director in
1914, is credited with establishing a program that reflects the ideals
of athletics at a liberal arts institution. Coaches like Fred
Selfe continued the tradition of a talented, dedicated staff whose
impact follows students throughout their lives.
The Chapel is the focal point for many of the College's religious life activities, many of which are aimed at service to the community beyond the College campus. Students take part in retreats and youth programs off campus and in Habitat for Humanity, a nationwide program that constructs housing for low-income families. Other religious life activities include Bible studies, Campus Christian Fellowhip, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Campus Christian Weekend, and Kerygma.
Fullerton Field was upgraded with a new, durable, artificial turf. Plans for the future include the construction of a new Field House, new locker rooms, meeting rooms, and offices. Stadium lighting has been added for night play, and a brand new game day operations center has been added. A brick wall encloses the field, and a decorative fence surrounds the stadium.
Situated at the crosswalk between Van Dyke and the College Duck Pond, this sign reminds visitors, students and staff to be aware of the College's feathered residents. This is also the location used by the College to gather students for Commencement's student procession.