Although Memorial Chapel is not old enough to be labeled historic, it is considered by many people to be one of the College’s most handsome buildings. Constructed in 1957–58, the building was made possible by numerous gifts, large and small, from alumni and friends of the College. The building was named so as to be a memorial to everyone who has been connected with the life of the College.
Memorial Chapel is perfectly aligned with Wiley Hall, reflecting the College’s dual commitments to intellectual attainment and religious commitment. The entrances of the two buildings are lined up, and the Chapel steeple reaches a height exactly equivalent to the top of the Wiley Hall bell tower.
The Chapel is the focal point for many of the College’s religious life activities, many of which are aimed at service to the community beyond the College campus. Students take part in retreats and youth programs off campus and in Habitat for Humanity, a nationwide program that constructs housing for low-income families. Other religious life activities include Bible studies, Campus Christian Fellowhip, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Campus Christian Weekend, and Kerygma.