Emory & Henry athletic facilities are among the most attractive and up-to-date facilities in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Among the most recent improvements has been the renovation of the Fred Selfe Athletic Stadium, at which E&H football and soccer athletes compete. In addition, the King Health and Physical Education Center, which is host to a variety of indoor athletic competitions, is a spacious, welcoming facility that brings together athletics and physical education.
Erected in 1970, the King Health and Physical Education Center was funded in part by a gift from E. Ward King of Kingsport, Tenn. The building memorializes Mr. King's father, John Rutledge King. In 2000, the completion of the Gibson Fitness Center to the existing structure expanded the size of the King Center. The addition provided a new fitness center, additional locker space, and new racquetball courts. The King Center also houses a junior Olympic swimming pool, several classrooms, a dance studio, the athletic training room, and offices for coaching staff and physical education professors.
The Bob Johson Court, located in the King Center Gymnasium, plays host to basketball and volleyball competitions. The court is named in honor of a former E&H athletic director and men's basketball coach, who built a national reputation for his coaching, helped by five teams in the NCAA playoffs, including two in the Sweet 16.
Adjacent to the King Center is the Fred Selfe Athletic Stadium, the site for football games played by the E&H Wasps. The field was constructed in 1924, and the first game was played on Oct. 24, 1925, against Lynchburg College. The field is named in memory of Thomas B. "Bingo" Fullerton, who served as the college's football coach from 1914 to 1926. The stadium was rebuilt in 1950 and again in 1990 to accommodate the typically large crowds that assemble for games. In 2008, the stadium was again updated and named after Fred Selfe, a former athletic director and assistant football coach.
Emory & Henry athletes have played baseball on the current location, which was moved to make way for the King Center, since 1970. The field is named after T.L. Porterfield and Chauncey DeVault. Porterfield served the college for many years in various capacities. He served as business manager, athletic director and football coach. DeVault served for many years as the commissioner of the Appalachian League.