Paddling Clinics: Intro to Whitewater
Emory & Henry College —
Outdoor Program Building, Emory, Virginia
Intro to Whitewater is a three-day immersion program designed to teach you the basic skills you need to start exploring the world of whitewater paddling on their own. The foundation skills learned in this course will provide for years of paddling enjoyment.
The instructor to client ratio will be no more than 1:4.
The Intro to Whitewater programs are scheduled June 12-14 and July 24-26.
Cost: $400 per person.
Day 1: Friday evening in the pool
- Intro, names, paperwork
- Equipment familiarization
- Wet-exits, paddle strokes, intro to rolling
Day 2: Lake and moving water
- Meet at Emory & Henry Outdoor Program Building, pack lunch and gear, drive to lake
- Paddle strokes, edging, kayak games, continuation of rolling
- Drive to moving water
- Basic river skills, edging in current, ferries, eddies
- Self-rescue and buddy rescue practice
Day 3: Whitewater
- Meet at Emory & Henry Outdoor Program Building, pack and drive to river
- Paddle strokes, eddies, ferries, self-rescue and buddy rescue practice
- Debrief, what’s next, other resources for continuing instruction
Questions? Feel free to ask.
Outdoor Program Staff