McGlothlin Center for the Arts —
30481 Garnand Dr.
Biennial: 36°46'22"N, 81°49'50"W
Exhibit: September 22 – November 3, 2015
Members of the Art Faculty are consummate creators of work that is engaging, formally rich and conceptually strong. This exhibition takes its name from the coordinates of the gallery location and celebrates each artist’s engagement with the concept of place as a source of inspiration.
Charles Goolsby evolves images from specific places, resulting in neo-Romantic fictional scenes of powerful psychological drama in his paintings and prints. Manda Remmen’s sculptures transform specific elements of location, history, collected data, processes, materials and viewer engagement into gallery installations that define specific moments in place. Dan Van Tassell explores the idea of personal place by creating playful, yet serious sculpture and installation, which seek to tickle our perceptions and sensibilities through the use of metaphor and semiology. Photographer Michael Wright captures the transitory elements of landscape through ambiguity and speed.
- Thursday, Oct. 22: 9:00 am – 1:20 pm
- Friday, Oct. 23: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Saturday, Oct. 24: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Sunday & Monday: Closed
- Tuesday, Oct. 27: 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Wednesday, Oct. 28: 9:00 am – 1:20 pm
- Thursday, Oct. 29: 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Friday, Oct. 30: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Saturday, Oct. 31: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- An hour before each performance and during intermission (if one)