Construction has begun on the Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts at Emory & Henry which is expected to enhance the College’s reputation as a regional leader in the arts and arts education.
Crews have begun clearing the ground for the $20 million facility that will be located toward the center of the historic E&H campus between Wiley Hall and Carriger Hall. Construction progress can be viewed online via a web cam that provides updated images at regular intervals.
The Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts honors the memory of a 1937 Emory & Henry graduate and longtime, beloved benefactor of the College. The lead gifts for the McGlothlin Center were provided through the personal generosity of McGlothlin and the McGlothlin Foundation.
The new center will consist of 40,000 square feet of space for a 450-seat theater, a proscenium stage and fly system, a 150-seat black box theater, dressing rooms, production areas, gallery space, a three-dimensional design studio and the College’s radio station.
In 1997, Emory & Henry created the Division of Visual & Performing Arts, which brought together existing programs in theatre, music and the visual arts. While pulling these programs under the same division, Emory & Henry also enhanced them to provide a greater number of degrees and to create more opportunities for learning and performance.
Woodrow W. McGlothlin served Emory & Henry on the Board of Visitors for 30 years and as president of that board. He taught school and worked in social services before partnering to form what is now The United Company. His belief in the intrinsic value of rural communities and his deep philanthropic and personal commitment to the region and its people drove his generous support of the arts, education and youth programs in the region.