Visitors to the E&H campus this summer have been witness to the ongoing construction of the Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts, which is expected to enhance the College’s reputation as a regional leader in the arts and arts education.
Crews have made significant progress since construction began a last fall on the $20 million facility that is located toward the center of the historic E&H campus between Wiley Hall and Carriger Hall. Outer walls have been constructed and the structure for the building’s front and rear entrances is beginning to take shape.
Contractors have targeted spring 2015 for completion of the facility, which will consist of 47,000 square feet of space for a 450-seat theater, a proscenium stage and fly system, a 150-seat black box theater, dressing rooms, production areas, gallery space and the College’s radio station.
Construction progress can be viewed online via a web cam that provides updated images at regular intervals.
The Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts honors the memory of a 1937 Emory & Henry graduate and longtime, beloved benefactor of the College. The lead gifts for the McGlothlin Center were provided through the personal generosity of McGlothlin and the McGlothlin Foundation.
In 1997, Emory & Henry created the Division of Visual & Performing Arts, which brought together existing programs in theatre, music and the visual arts. While pulling these programs under the same division, Emory & Henry also enhanced them to provide a greater number of degrees and to create more opportunities for learning and performance.
Woodrow W. McGlothlin served Emory & Henry on the Board of Visitors for 30 years and as president of that board. He taught school and worked in social services before partnering to form what is now The United Company. His belief in the intrinsic value of rural communities and his deep philanthropic and personal commitment to the region and its people drove his generous support of the arts, education and youth programs in the region.