In 2002 I joined Emory & Henry College as the Director of Counseling in the Powell Resource Center (PRC). I was thrilled to join such a welcoming community of caring faculty, staff and students. I enjoy helping students discover their full potential and maximize their strengths through the resources in the Powell Resource Center.
When I first started working at Emory & Henry College I was working with all counseling, prevention and consultation services for students. Since July 2015, I now split part of my duties with direct counseling services and the other part with administrative services while serving as the Director of the Powell Resource Center. This Center is fortunate to offer an array of services to meet student needs, including:
- Career Services
- Academic Support
- Student Retention
- Advising Services
- Quantitative Literacy Services
- Orientation Programming, which also provides numerous volunteer options for students
Prior to working at Emory & Henry College I worked at Radford University as the Extended Campus Coordinator at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center in Abingdon, Va. where I also taught classes with the Radford University School of Social Work. I also maintained a private clinical practice for many years, worked in community mental health settings also serving as the director of a rural mental health center. One of my internships was in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Management at Horizon House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I was fortunate to complete a second internship with Eating Disorders, Adolescent Therapy and Family Therapy at St. Albans Hospital in Radford, Virginia.
- B.A.: Social Work — Radford University, Radford, Va.
- Masters Social Work — Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), Richmond, Va.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, (LCSW) since 1992
- NASW Diplomat in Clinical Social Work (DCSW)
- Qualified Clinical Social Worker (QCSW)
- Virginia NASW Certification in Clinical Supervision, June 2009
- Red Cross Mental Health Family Services Certification, April 2002
- Red Cross Disaster Shelter Certification, October 2002
- Red Cross Disaster Mass Care Certification, November 2002
- Red Cross Disaster Instructor Certification, June 2005
- Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Certification, September 1999
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, October 1996
- The Paul Harris Fellow Award from the Rotary Club of Washington County, July 2009
- The HOPE Award presented by the Appalachian Center, Emory & Henry College 2006
- Virginia Chapter National Association of Social Workers, Social Worker of the Year Award , 2004
- Appointed by Governor Mark Warner to serve a four year term on the Virginia Social Work Licensing Board, 2004
- Awarded the “Peggy Griffiths Advocate of the Year” 2001–2002, Radford University School of Social Work
- Awarded the William E. Skelton Fellow of Rotary International by district 7570, 2001–2002
- Awarded a certificate of merit for 2001–2002 from the American Red Cross for work with New York City aftermath of the 911 Terrorist Attacks and the Appalachian Law School shooting.
- Outstanding Young Woman of America, 1985
- Selected by Rotary International to participate in a professional group exchange program with Hokkaido, Japan for 6 weeks, April–May, 1998