Felicia Mitchell is a poet and writer whose interests inform her classroom dynamic. In the classroom, she challenges students to think creatively, work collaboratively, and write papers and poems they will be proud of for years to come. Her work with students includes courses in writing, linguistics, poetry, creative writing, and literature. Along with teaching, Mitchell coordinates the services of the writing center and serves as director of the CORE writing proficiency. In recognition of her service to students and the college, she has received a McConnell Award, a Sears Roebuck Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence and Professional Leadership, and the William Carrington Finch Award for Faculty Excellence. Grants include fellowships for residencies at the Virginia Center for Creative Arts and the Salzburg Seminar as well as Mellon research grants, Berger Foundation travel grants, and Virginia Foundation of Independent Colleges Technology grant. Mitchell has published her poems widely in journals and anthologies. Her most recent chapbook of poems, The Cleft of the Rock, is from Finishing Line Press (2009). Since 2003, Mitchell has contributed a weekly column to Washington County News, which is edited by English major and alum Mark Sage (’96). Although creative writing is her focus, research interests include poetry, composition pedagogy, and women’s studies. An essay about her approach to advanced composition appears in Landmark Essays on Advanced Composition. She also edited Her Words: Diverse Voices in Contemporary Appalachian Women’s Poetry for the University of Tennessee Press.
Poetry book manuscript, The Lost Language of Dragons, in submission.
- What I Am Trying to Say: Poems (Honors Project 2005), Morgan Richards.
- Definitions: Poems (Directed Study 2009), Sally Smith.
Poetry manuscript, creative nonfiction
- Studies in Poetry Students Create and Share Poetry with Community (Emory, VA)
- Poet Finds Inspiration in Nature (Bristol, VA)
- Poetry Reading at Liminal Gallery (Roanoke, VA)
- EHC-TV Interview with Daron Vaught and Felicia Mitchell (Emory, VA)
- Poetry Hickory Reading (Hickory, NC)
- Zazzy’z Coffee House and Bookseller Reading (Abingdon, VA)
- B.A., University of South Carolina
- M.A., University of South Carolina, Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin