Carriger Hall is a men's residence hall located at the center of campus, providing a short walk across the campus green to Kelly Library and the campus cafeteria. Just up the hill is the north entrance to the Woodrow W. McGlothin Center for the Arts. Residents enjoy some of the best views of campus, including the college duckpond, from the windows of their residence. They also enjoy adjacent parking and easy access to the Martin-Brock Student Center. A large lounge/common area toward the entrance to the hall is a popular recreation space for residents and guests.
Much of the building, including its lounge, was renovated in recent years. Behind Carriger Hall, and connected by a walkway, is Matthews Hall, a men’s residence hall built in 1953 and named for alumnus William M. Matthews (Class of 1902). Constructed in several phases between 1904–1908, this building originally was known as “Students Home.” It was renamed in 1955 to honor the memory of Richard Green Waterhouse (Class of 1885), president of the College from 1893 to 1910 and later a Methodist bishop, and his stepson, Herbert M. Carriger, who died in 1900 while enrolled as a student at Emory & Henry.