The College-Community Club of Emory, Virginia promotes the mission of Emory & Henry College and the cultural, educational, social interests and improvements of the community. The membership of the Club is open to employees of the College, members of the Washington County, Va. community and others in the area. Anyone interested in becoming a member of the Club may contact any member of the Club or email ehccommunityclub@ehc.edu.

The College-Community Club was first organized in 1896 and has since been a strong voice for and supporter of Emory & Henry and the surrounding community. The Club meets monthly for educational programs and to conduct the business of the organization

A highlight of the Club’s activities is the annual Arts & Crafts Fair and Attic Treasurers Sale held on the campus each fall. The Club proceeds of this and other fundraising efforts go to support special projects which include an annual endowed scholarship for a student from Patrick Henry High School to attend Emory & Henry, upkeep of the historic Tobias Smyth House, programs for students at Emory & Henry and special projects for College programs.

The contributions of the Club over the years are remarkably varied, as you can see from the history summarized below. For example, in its early years, the Club loaned money to the College at a 6% interest rate. The Tobias Smyth House was saved from demolition on its original site by the Club which paid to have the structure moved to the Emory & Henry campus. Club members held debates and made thousands of surgical bandages during World War II. Please read on for more.