Byars Hall serves as a hub for the fine arts.
The three-story building includes a classroom for Art History, studios for Painting, Drawing, and Printmaking, A darkroom and digital art lab for Photography and Graphic Design, and 2 student art galleries.
The building is the oldest academic structure on the Emory & Henry campus, with most of the current structure having been built in 1889. Fire destroyed two buildings previously located on the same site. The first of those was a boarding house designed by Col. William Byars, one of the college’s founders, and constructed in 1836–37. To honor Byars’ contributions to the life of Emory & Henry, the building bears his name.