Mission & Philosophy
The mission of the Athletic Training Department at Emory & Henry College is to prepare students for entry-level careers by educating them in the knowledge, clinical skills, and professional behaviors needed to successfully practice as an athletic training professional. We strive to provide students with a comprehensive education in order to develop critical thinking and promote civic engagement.
Graduates will have the necessary skills needed to work in a wide variety of healthcare settings.
The Methodist principles on which the College was founded, along with the NATA Code of Ethics, is the basis upon which our students strive to uphold the college motto, “Increase in Excellence!”
The Athletic Training Program Faculty is very excited about the opportunities and challenges we offer our athletic training students. The curriculum is demanding, but the rewards received are well worth the effort.
Students in the E&H Athletic Training Program will:
- Students will demonstrate mastery of the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively perform as an entry-level Certified Athletic Trainer.
- Students will demonstrate active engagement in shaping the Athletic Training Profession.
- Students will design and complete a research project utilizing evidence-based practices and disseminate the results to AT faculty, students, and other invited guests.
The E&H Athletic Training Program will:
- The program will provide a student-centered learning environment that provides quality instruction and clinical education experiences.
- The program will assist students in obtaining their initial athletic training position.
- The program will achieve and maintain a three-year aggregate first-time passing rate for the BOC exam that exceeds the requirements established by the CAATE Standards.
- The program will provide opportunities for service-learning and civic engagement.
The AT Faculty will:
- The faculty will be actively involved in professional service to their state, regional, or national athletic training professional organizations.
- The faculty will stay current on best practices in Athletic Training Education and Clinical Practice.
- The faculty will remain up-to-date on pedagogical methods and instructional technology.
- The faculty will provide quality instruction in each of their assigned courses.