**The MOT program is transitioning to an entry-level OTD program with a tentative start in Fall 2020. A letter of intent has be submitted to ACOTE and Application for Candidacy will be submitted by August 2019. ACOTE will make a decision in December 2019. More information to follow.**
The OT program understands that the admission process can be a difficult time for applicants. It is our goal to treat every applicant with respect and honesty. Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements before applying as this will result in a denial. The application process is very competitive so meeting the minimum requirements may not necessarily result in an onsite interview invitation. Most competitive applicants will exceed the minimum requirements.
The program takes great effort in the selection process in order to obtain applicants that are a good fit for the program as well as the program be a good fit for them. The OT Admissions Committee uses an internal rubric scoring system scoring items such as overall GPA, prerequisite GPA, last 60 hours GPA, GRE scores, application essay, references, onsite interview, etc. Additional points are scored for Emory & Henry College graduates as well as current residents of Southwest Virginia as defined by Virginia Health Workforce Development Authority.
It is vital that you complete your application in OTCAS as early as possible due to the verification process taking 4-6 weeks. Only verified records will be considered for admission. In order to be considered for an onsite interview, your application must have current transcripts, GRE scores, paid $30 supplemental fee, and three references submitted in your application.
Invitations for interviews will occur after the application deadline of December 16, 2019. If you are selected for an interview then an onsite interview is highly encouraged. It is important for you to see our facilities and meet our wonderful faculty, staff, and students. This is a great time to have all of your questions answered. A phone or internet interview may be considered for extreme cases only. This request must be submitted in writing with a detailed justification submitted to the program director. Each request will be reviewed by the OT admission committee and a decision made within 4 weeks of the submitted request.
Onsite interviews will occur on the following dates:
Dates: January 25, 2020; February 8, 2020; and March 7, 2020
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis but the class will not be completely filled until after the March interviews. If you receive an acceptance then there is a $500 nonrefundable deposit due within 2 weeks of the acceptance in order to reserve your seat for the class.
The OT program has 3 major admission decision categories:
1. Accepted: Candidate is accepted for admission into the OT program at the next starting date. If applicant is missing any prerequisite courses or any other admission requirements, then this acceptance is conditional on all requirements being met prior to the start date of the OT program.
2. Wait List: Candidate is not accepted into the program at this time but is placed on a waiting list. Applicant will still be considered for acceptance into the program. Applicant will be reviewed and compared to other applicants after each subsequent interview session for consideration for acceptance into the program. Once all seats are filled then all applicants on the waiting list will be considered for acceptance as accepted applicants decline their seat. This process may occur through August, so applicants on the waiting list must complete all admission requirements in order to be considered for admission to the program if a cohort seat opens.
3. Declined: Candidate is not accepted into the program. The candidate may not meet admission requirements or may not be competitive with other applicants. The applicant is encouraged to take steps to improve their application and apply again.
- For academic year 2019-2020, the application process will open in the OTCAS system by July 18, 2019.
- All students applying to the OT program must submit all required materials through the OTCAS system.
- A supplemental application fee of $30 must be submitted to the admission’s office at Emory & Henry College - School of Health Sciences.
- The final application deadline will be December 16, 2019.
- It is in the interest of the applicant to apply early for consideration as the OTCAS system can take several weeks to verify all information. Application must be complete and verified in the OTCAS system before OT Admissions Committee will review.
- The interview process will occur in January, February, and March 2019. Interviews will be by invitation only by the OT Admissions Committee.
- Acceptance will be on a rolling admissions process.
- Classes will begin Fall 2020.
If you have any questions regarding possible substitute courses for the required prerequisites then send your question along with the course number and course description to John Jackson, OT Program Director at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 276-944-6744