Accepted Students Info
Info and Useful Resources for Incoming Students
How to Submit Your Application Fee and Admissions Deposit
- Applications will not be reviewed by the Program until the non-refundable $30.00 application fee is submitted.
- Candidates invited to join the program need to remit a non-refundable $500.00 deposit to hold their seat.
- Application Fees and Admissions Deposits (for accepted candidates) can be paid via check, money order, or credit card.
- For payment by check or money order, mail a check or money order to Emory & Henry College at: Emory & Henry College Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 947, Emory, VA 24327. Please make sure to include your specific CASPA application number on the check or money order.
- For payment by credit/debit card, call our Centralized Student Assistance (CSA) office: 276-944-6113. Please make sure to provide your specific CASPA application number when calling in your payment.
- For payment online please follow one of the two links:
Textbook Requirements*Click here to see all didactic-phase courses along with required text(s) per course.
Additional ResourcesClick here for useful additional resources for incoming students (these resources are for your reference, if you need additional assistance or access to these documents please contact our Program Manager, Ms. Laura Dowell.
These additional resources include the following:
Didactic Phase Block Schedules
Laptop Computer Specifications
List of Advanced Clinical Procedures Trainings
Our Program’s Content Blueprint
Our Week-Long Bootcamp and Orientation Session
The week prior to our first day of class, the MPAS Program has a required boot camp/orientation session. The boot camp is designed to help prepare incoming students for the rigorous program and will include the following:
Mini-lectures from several of our courses to acquaint students with faculty teaching and testing styles
Training on Bloodborne Pathogens, Hand Hygiene for Infection Control, Healthcare Professional Communication Training, Fire and Life Safety, FERPA, HIPAA & Privacy, HIPAA & Security, and Safety Data Sheets - all required prior to participating in experiential activities at the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry College.
Orientation to the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry College
Workshops on notetaking, study, and medical textbook/article reading skills all designed to increase effectiveness while also shorten the amount of time students spend on studying and reading.
Workshops on test-taking skills including mock exams related to the mini-lectures with built-in exam review sessions
Workshops on self-care and life as a PA Student
Required Pre-Matriculation Reading List
Given the program’s emphasis on Mindfulness, students are required to read one of the below books prior to bootcamp. We will be discussing these in bootcamp via a team-based learning activity.
- Bays, J. C. (2011). How to train a wild elephant: And other adventures in mindfulness. Boulder, CO: Shambhala Publications.
- Epstein, R. (2017). Attending: Medicine, mindfulness, and humanity. New York, NY: Scribner.
Tentative Didactic Semester Start & End Dates*
- Bootcamp/Orientation Week 2018 (1 week): May 14 - May 18
- White Coat Ceremony 2018: May 25
- Summer Semester 2018 (12 weeks + Finals Week): May 21 - Aug 17
- Fall Semester 2018 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Aug 27 - Dec 20
- Spring Semester 2019 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Jan 7 - May 4
- Summer Semester 2019: May 20 (start date)
*During the clinical phase of training, students complete their supervised clinical practice experiences (SCPEs) following a month to month calendar schedule and not the above academic calendar schedule.