Accepted Students Info
Info and Useful Resources for Incoming Students
How to Submit Your Application Fee and Admissions Deposit
- Applications will not be reviewed by the Program until the non-refundable $30.00 application fee is submitted.
- Candidates invited to join the program need to remit a non-refundable $500.00 deposit to hold their seat.
- Application Fees and Admissions Deposits (for accepted candidates) can be paid via check, money order, or credit card.
- For payment by check or money order, mail a check or money order to Emory & Henry College at: Emory & Henry College Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 947, Emory, VA 24327. Please make sure to include your specific CASPA application number on the check or money order.
- For payment by credit/debit card, call our Centralized Student Assistance (CSA) office: 276-944-6113. Please make sure to provide your specific CASPA application number when calling in your payment.
- For payment online please follow one of the two links:
Textbook Requirements*Click here to see all didactic-phase courses along with required text(s) per course.
Additional ResourcesClick here for useful additional resources for accepted/incoming students (these resources are for your reference).
These additional resources include the following:
Boot Camp Schedule
Didactic Phase Block Schedules
Laptop Computer Specifications
List of Advanced Clinical Procedures Training
Our Program’s Content Blueprint
Our Week-Long Boot Camp and Orientation Session
During the first week of the didactic-phase, the MPAS Program has a required boot camp/orientation session. This boot camp is specifically designed to help prepare incoming students for the rigorous program and experiential activities at the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry. All students are required to have subscriptions to American Family Physician and Prescriber’s Letter beginning on the second day of Bootcamp. will include the following:
- Orientation to the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry College
Supplemental Lectures in Anatomy, Medical Physiology, and/or Clinical Medicine to acquaint students with faculty teaching and testing styles
Specific Training on the Following:
Airborne and Bloodborne Pathogens, Universal Precautions, and Hand Hygiene for Infection Control
FERPA and Student Privacy
ALICE, Fire and Life Safety
HIPAA & Healthcare Professional Communication
Safety Data Sheets
Introduction to Team-Based Learning
- Introduction to the Kelly Library resources, including but not limited to our electronic databases and texts.
- Introduction to the Powell Resource Center resources.
Workshops on notetaking, study, and medical textbook/article reading skills all designed to increase effectiveness while also shorten the amount of time students spend on studying and reading.
Workshops on test-taking skills including mock exams
Workshops on self-care and life as a PA Student
Required Pre-Matriculation Reading List
Given the program’s emphasis on Mindfulness, students are required to read one of the below books prior to bootcamp. We will be discussing these in bootcamp via a team-based learning activity.
- Bays, J. C. (2011). How to train a wild elephant: And other adventures in mindfulness. Boulder, CO: Shambhala Publications.
- Epstein, R. (2017). Attending: Medicine, mindfulness, and humanity. New York, NY: Scribner.
- Verghese, A. (1995). My own country. Vintage.
- Groopman, J. (2008). How doctors think. Mariner Books
- Shem, S. (1985) The house of God. TransWorld Publishers.
Tentative Didactic Semester Start & End Dates*
- Bootcamp/Orientation Week 2019 (1 week): May 13 - May 17
- White Coat Ceremony 2019: May 20
- Summer Semester 2019 (12 weeks + Finals Week): May 20 - Aug 16
- Fall Semester 2019 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Aug 26 - Dec 20
- Spring Semester 2020 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Jan 6 - May 1
- Summer Semester 2020: May 18 (start date)
*During the clinical phase of training, students complete their supervised clinical practice experiences (SCPEs) following a month to month calendar schedule and not the above academic calendar schedule.