Accepted Students Info
Info and Useful Resources for Incoming Students
How to Submit Your Application Fee and Admissions Deposit
- Applications will not be reviewed by the Program until the non-refundable $30.00 application fee is submitted.
- Candidates invited to join the program need to remit a non-refundable $500.00 deposit to hold their seat.
- Application Fees and Admissions Deposits (for accepted candidates) can be paid via check, money order, or credit card.
- For payment by check or money order, mail a check or money order to Emory & Henry College at: Emory & Henry College Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 947, Emory, VA 24327. Please make sure to include your specific CASPA application number on the check or money order.
- For payment by credit/debit card, call our Centralized Student Assistance (CSA) office: 276-944-6113. Please make sure to provide your specific CASPA application number when calling in your payment.
- For payment online please follow one of the two links:
Textbook Requirements*Click here to see all didactic-phase courses along with required text(s) per course.
Additional ResourcesClick here for useful additional resources for accepted/incoming students (these resources are for your reference, if you need additional assistance or access to these documents please contact our Program Manager, Ms. Laura Dowell.
These additional resources include the following:
Didactic Phase Block Schedules
Laptop Computer Specifications
List of Advanced Clinical Procedures Trainings
Our Program’s Content Blueprint
Our Week-Long Bootcamp and Orientation Session
During the first week of the didactic-phase, the MPAS Program has a required boot camp/orientation session. This boot camp is specifically designed to help prepare incoming students for the rigorous program and experiential activities at the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry. All students are required to have subscriptions to American Family Physician and Prescriber’s Letter beginning on the second day of Bootcamp. will include the following:
- Orientation to the Mel Leaman Free Clinic at Emory & Henry College
Supplemental Lectures in Anatomy, Medical Physiology, and/or Clinical Medicine to acquaint students with faculty teaching and testing styles
Specific Training on the Following:
Airborne and Bloodborne Pathogens, Universal Precautions, and Hand Hygiene for Infection Control
FERPA and Student Privacy
ALICE, Fire and Life Safety
HIPAA & Healthcare Professional Communication
Safety Data Sheets
Introduction to Team-Based Learning
- Introduction to the Kelly Library resources, including but not limited to our electronic databases and texts.
- Introduction to the Powell Resource Center resources.
Workshops on notetaking, study, and medical textbook/article reading skills all designed to increase effectiveness while also shorten the amount of time students spend on studying and reading.
Workshops on test-taking skills including mock exams
Workshops on self-care and life as a PA Student
Required Pre-Matriculation Reading List*
Given the program’s emphasis on Mindfulness, students are required to read one of the below books prior to bootcamp. We will be discussing these in bootcamp via a team-based learning activity.
- Bays, J. C. (2011). How to train a wild elephant: And other adventures in mindfulness. Boulder, CO: Shambhala Publications.
- Epstein, R. (2017). Attending: Medicine, mindfulness, and humanity. New York, NY: Scribner.
*The pre-matriculation reading listed is not finalized for the May 2019 start date.
Tentative Didactic Semester Start & End Dates*
- Bootcamp/Orientation Week 2019 (1 week): May 13 - May 17
- White Coat Ceremony 2019: TBD
- Summer Semester 2019 (12 weeks + Finals Week): May 20 - Aug 16
- Fall Semester 2019 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Aug 26 - Dec 20
- Spring Semester 2020 (15 weeks + Finals Week): Jan 6 - May 1
- Summer Semester 2020: May 18 (start date)
*During the clinical phase of training, students complete their supervised clinical practice experiences (SCPEs) following a month to month calendar schedule and not the above academic calendar schedule.