Our programs in the School of Arts & Sciences have the learning facilities E&H students need for success! Our historic campus has classrooms with the latest technology, science labs, arts studios, fitness centers and more. Our off-campus facilities have outdoor learning environments.
Appalachian Center for Civic Life
Collins House is the oldest academic building on campus that is still on its original foundations. It has served as a president’s house, a faculty residence, a student residence hall, and it currently serves to house the Appalachian Center for Civic Life.
Learn more about the Appalachian Center for Civic Life.
Learn more about Emory & Henry’s Civic Engagement programs.
The current Byars Hall was completed in 1890, it has two predecessors that were both destroyed by fires, one in 1858 and one in 1889. The academic building receives its name in honor of one of the four founders of E&H, Colonel William Byars.
Built in 1968, the Frederick Thrasher Kelly Library is named for an E&H alumnus (class of 1905) whose $1.9 million bequest made possible the construction of the building.
Learn more about the Kelly Library.
King Health and Physical Education Center
The modern gymnasium was built in 1970, funded in part by a gift from E. Ward King of Kingsport, Tenn. The building memorializes Mr. King’s father, John Rutledge King. An adjoining junior olympic swimming pool was added in 1975. In 2000, a large addition to the center was completed, providing a new fitness center, additional locker space, and new racquetball courts.
Marching Band Building
A recent 2016 addition to the campus, the E&H College Marching Band Building provides a rehearsal space for the only marching band in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. The building also provides the marching band with a storage area, dressing room and office space.
Learn more about the E&H Marching Band.
McGlothlin-Street Hall, also referred to as MS, serves as an academic building with the goal to continue E&H’s long tradition for scientific excellence. Among the college’s alumni are Edward C. Huffaker (class of 1880), who joined the Wright brothers in their flight experiments near Kitty Hawk, N.C., and Robert Humphrey (class of 1889), who was a researcher for Standard Oil and developed the thermal method of cracking petroleum hydrocarbons to produce gasoline. The college also boasts more than 25 alumni who were among the group of NASA scientists who helped send Alan Shepherd into space in 1961.
Miller Hall & Creed Fulton Hall
The original Creed Fulton Observatory was built in 1914, and was named after a Methodist preacher considered to be on of the four founders of the college. Money for the observatory was donated by two of Fulton’s daughters and the remainder was raised by E&H professor, Dr. Fred Allison (Class of 1904), who acquired a national reputation for his work in physics. The Miller Mathematics Wing was added in 1967 and named after Dr. James Shannon “Mathie” Miller (Class of 1918), a mathematics professor whose career at E&H spanned 49 years.
Outdoor Program Building
The Outdoor Program Building serves to house the E&H Outdoor Program, it includes both an indoor and outdoor climbing wall. Students can participate in trips and expeditions throughout the year with the program, or even earn college credit for hiking the Appalachian Trail through the E&H Semester-A-Trail Program.
Learn more about the Outdoor Program.
The van Vlissingen Center for Career and Professional Development
The van Vlissingen Center for Career and Professional Development is housed in the structure that was previously known as the Black Box Theatre. The center supports students and alumni toward their professional path with career counselors to help with everything from exploring careers, choosing a major, finding an internship, conducting a job search and applying for graduate school.
Learn more about the Career & Professional Development Center.
Tour The van Vlissingen Center for Career and Professional Development
Wiley Hall is named in honor of the second E&H president, Ephraim Emerson Wiley, who joined the college in 1938 as the first full-time faculty member. The original structure built in 1912 was destroyed by a fire in 1928, today’s Wiley Hall was reconstructed on the original building’s foundations. Wiley Hall is home to the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, and Marketing & Communications, as well as the President’s Office, Registrar, and the Paul Adrian Powell, III Student Success Center.
Speak with an Admissions Counselor about applying for Emory & Henry.
Learn more about the Student Success Center.
Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts
The Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts honors the memory of Mr. McGlothlin, a 1937 E&H graduate and longtime beloved benefactor of the College. Serving as a host to an array of different activities, the McGlothlin Center houses the college and community radio station, WEHC 90.7 FM, dressing rooms and production areas, 461-seat Main Stage Theatre, 120-seat Black Box Theatre, MCA Art Gallery, and the offices of theatre department faculty and art center staff.
Learn more about the McGlothlin Center for the Arts.
Learn more about the Arts at Emory & Henry College.
3D Art Studio Building
The 3D Art Studio Building is home to three-dimensional art including crafts, sculpture and ceramics. Students have access to a variety of power equipment, a clay slab roller, extruder and electric wheels. The two large studios in the recently constructed 3D Art Building support student creativity in ceramics, sculpture, crafts, and three- dimensional design courses. Students work with tools and equipment including a slab roller, extruder, and electric wheels for clay in the ceramics studio. The sculpture & craft studio features woodworking equipment, woodworking tools, looms, textile and papermaking equipment.
Bartlett-Crowe Field Station
The Bartlett-Crowe Field Station is a 72-acre nature reserve is located along the Holston River and is dedicated to environmental education, research and outreach. The surrounding region hosts some of the most unique and diverse assemblages of salamanders, fishes, and freshwater mussels in North America.
Learn more about the Bartlett-Crowe Field Station.
Emory & Henry Garden
Class is always outside for students who work in the Emory & Henry Garden. The E&H Garden is many things to many people. For students in the Food Studies minor or one of the Organic Food Production courses, it’s the classroom. For other students the garden is a place to get outside and connect with the land, a way to give back to the community through food, or just simply one of the most pleasant spots on campus.
Intermont Equestrian Center
Our 120-acre riding center has indoor and outdoor arenas and a cross-country course that serve as venues for competitions and hands-on training. Winning 19 national championships since 2001, the College’s IHSA, IDA and ANRC teams offer opportunities for students to gain expertise in hunters, jumpers and dressage. Riding is open to all students at Emory & Henry, regardless of their major or level of riding.
Learn more about the Equestrian Center.
Learn more about the E&H Equestrian Team.
View a map of Emory & Henry College for locations of each School of Arts & Sciences facility.