Ampersand Student Grants of up to $500 per student are available for undergraduates to:
- Complete academic, co-curricular and service projects on campus, in the community or the world, or
- Travel to conferences or other gatherings to present the results of their projects.
The final Fall 2019 application deadline is Nov. 15. Spring 2020 application deadlines are Feb. 1, March 1 and April 1.
Download an application today! To complete it, save a copy of this form to your Google Drive. For questions or more information please contact Joseph Vess.
The Ampersand Student Grants Committee includes:
Prof. Mary Ellis Rice (English and Office of Sponsored Programs); Scott Sikes (Appalachian Center for Civic Life and Civic Innovation); Madison McKinsey (class of 2020); Madison McMillion (class of 2022); and Joseph Vess.
***Ampersand student grants are supported by a generous gift from Steve Hunt, a member of the Emory & Henry College Board of Trustees, and his wife, Edeltraut Gilgan-Hunt.***
- <h4 class="lw_blurbs_title">Border Voices: Cross-Border Identity in North-West Ulster</h4><div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p><img width="611" height="402" alt="Jackson Feezell presents his research a the Ampersand Day showcase. " src="/live/image/gid/44/width/611/height/402/crop/1/src_region/422,230,2918,1873/612_Ampersand-Day-2017-D-IMG32.rev.1505854799.JPG" class="lw_image lw_image612 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/44/width/611/height/402/crop/1/src_region/422,230,2918,1873/612_Ampersand-Day-2017-D-IMG32.rev.1505854799.JPG 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/44/width/611/height/402/crop/1/src_region/422,230,2918,1873/612_Ampersand-Day-2017-D-IMG32.rev.1505854799.JPG 3x" data-max-w="3200" data-max-h="2136"/>Jackson Feezell, ’17 showcased his work at the Ampersand Day Showcase. When you think of Ireland, perhaps you think of shamrocks, leprechauns, and Guinness. What you may not know is that the island of Ireland contains two separate countries: the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Until 1998, Northern Ireland was a war zone, as Catholics and Protestants fought each other for control of the North. Now that the violence has ended, Feezell presented his research and asked how individuals view the limits of their communities. </p></div>
- <h4 class="lw_blurbs_title">Studying Salamanders in Southwest Virginia</h4><div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p><img width="611" height="469" alt="Erin Kirk presents her research on salamanders at Ampersand Day 2017." src="/live/image/gid/44/width/611/height/469/crop/1/src_region/83,25,2604,1960/570_Ampersand-Day-2017_379.rev.1505419780.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image570 lw_align_left" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/44/width/611/height/469/crop/1/src_region/83,25,2604,1960/570_Ampersand-Day-2017_379.rev.1505419780.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/44/width/611/height/469/crop/1/src_region/83,25,2604,1960/570_Ampersand-Day-2017_379.rev.1505419780.jpg 3x" data-max-w="3200" data-max-h="2133"/>The Lexington, Virginia native has passion for learning to use new tools in the lab and relate that to research on endangered species. This project has allowed her to combine both, and she hopes to prove the effectiveness of this non-invasive method. Exploring Whitetop Mountain, Elk Garden, and Mt. Rodgers, her project landed her a spot in the Student Showcase at Ampersand Day 2017.</p></div>
- <h4 class="lw_blurbs_title">Ninety Seconds is All Two Students Need to Open Doors in the Theater Field</h4><div class="lw_blurbs_body"><p><img width="610" height="407" alt="Kaleigh Bowyer ’20 and Hannah Rivette ’20" src="/live/image/gid/44/width/610/height/407/6976_Bowyer-Rivette-headshot.rev.1569950249.jpg" class="lw_image lw_image6976 lw_align_left lw_block" data-max-w="610" data-max-h="407"/>Emory & Henry students <b>Kaleigh Bowyer ’20 </b>and <b>Hannah Rivette ’20 </b>traveled to the Virginia Theatre Alliance SETC Professional Screening Audition where they each presented a ninety-second monologue followed by a song. The conference was a chance for the students to gain valuable experience and allows many different theater companies to see talented new performers and help them advance in their future careers.</p><p> “This is an enormous opportunity to take advantage of,” said Bowyer. “It will give me more experience within my field, more connections to other theatre companies and artists, and allowed me to feel more prepared for future auditions.”</p></div>