While no guarantees can be made, to help mitigate the constant threat of fraudulent employers, Handshake designed and built the first “Employer Trust Score” in the career services space. This Trust Score uses a powerful two-part validation system designed to identify and eliminate fraudulent employers and contacts before they join your network, making it easy to protect our students as they explore the job market.
When searching for opportunities outside of the Handshake platform, look for the following hints to help ensure that you have found a legitimate opportunity:
- If you find an opportunity on a job search board (like Indeed), go directly to the employer’s website to ensure the employer and the opportunity are real.
- It is best practice to apply through the employer’s website.
- A thorough description of the employer and position should be provided
- The role has comparable qualifications, pay, and benefits to similar opportunities with other employers
- Does the employer provide photos of the staff members on their website?
Can you find the employer on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Federal Trade Commission, or the Better Business Bureau?