Student Employment

Student Employment Site Table Of Contents:

Changes for 2020-2021

Only students who have been awarded federal work study through their financial aid package can work on campus as student employees for the 2020-2021 academic school year.  Students who have been awarded federal work study can find this listed on their financial aid award statement in Self Service.  Students are also welcome to e-mail the Assistant Director-Student Employment to determine their federal work study eligibility.

The Basics


This is regardless of work study eligibility.  The only exception to this rule is Resident Advisors (RAs).  RAs cannot accept a student employment opportunity above and beyond their RA job unless they are federal work study awarded. 


Student employees and supervisors must wait for approval before any work can be completed.  Both parties will be notified via email once the paperwork has been processed and approved.

Student job postings

All student jobs are posted in E&H Connects and jobs are being added every day, so you will want to check often.  For more information on E&H Connects, see below.

Student work hours

Typically students work no more than 5-6 hours per week in their student employment job.  This can vary based on student schedule/obligations and employer needs. Summer student employees are authorized to work a maximum of 40 hours per week. 

Students are paid bi-weekly

Which means they are paid every two weeks.

Student Employment Application Assistance 

Need help writing a resume or professional email to apply for a student employment opportunity?  Visit the resume, cover letter, and interviewing section of the career site.

Student Employee Supervisor (Faculty/Staff) Guidelines

Step by step instructions for hiring, supervising, and disciplining student employees are available. 

Student Employment Job Postings on E&H Connects

E&H Connects Web LogoWhere are the student employment jobs posted?  E&H Connects. Login today using your E&H Username (example: ehstudent18) and Password.  E&H Connects is maintained and updated by Career Services and it is a collection of current student employment, internship, and job postings.  Step-by-step instructions for accessing, updating, and viewing jobs on E&H Connects are linked here and available in other formats upon request by e-mailing Amanda Gardner.

Student Employment Paperwork

Required employment paperwork must be turned in by all student employees and is linked below. Student employees and supervisors must wait for HRs approval before any student can begin work. 


Please note that you will need to provide orginial documents with your I-9 employment eligibility verification form to verify your eligibility to work in the USA. A list of acceptable I-9 documents can be found here

*Please note the documents MUST be the originals; No photocopies, pictures, or scans accepted.*

Required Paperwork & Training for students who have never worked on campus before:





Wages will be received via direct deposit.  Please complete the Student Employment Payment Form.

Those that do not have a bank account may elect to utilize the First Pay CardFirst Pay Card Application

Annual FERPA Training will be assigned by HR via Safe Colleges.

Required Paperwork & Training for student employees who have previously worked on campus before:


*New contracts are required for each academic year and the summer regardless of employment history*

 i-9 VERIFICATION of employment Status

We will have to update your I-9 on file and so will need scanned copies (usually need originals, but due to COVID we can accept scans) of one document from column A OR one document from column B and one from column C per the page 3 of the I-9.  **YOU DO NOT NEED TO COMPLETE THE I-9 again, we just need to see the scanned documents so we can update the form the College already has on file for you.


Please update your banking information via the Student Employment Payment Form.

Annual FERPA Training will be assigned by HR via Safe Colleges.

  • What’s the difference between student employment and work study?

    Student employment and work study are used interchangeably at Emory & Henry College, but student employment is the overarching term for any job held by students.  Work study is a term used by the federal government and refers to the funding colleges and universities receive to provide work opportunities for students with financial need.

  • How do I apply for student employment jobs?

    Each job description on E&H Connects will include its own application instructions.  Pay close attention to how the employer wants you to apply for the position. Some may ask you to submit a resume, others may ask you to email them with why you want to work with them, and others still might ask you to simply stop by their office to express interest.  If you need help with writing a resume, email or cover letter,visit Your Career on the Ampersand Center’s web site.

  • How many hours can I work?

    The number of hours you work really depends on your schedule and needs, but student employment is designed to offer up to 10 hours of work per week on average, but can fluctuate from week-to-week depending on the need of the employer.  You must communicate with your employer if you would like to work less or more hours per week.

  • I wasn’t awarded work study on my financial aid package, can I still get a student job on campus?

    YES.  Any student at Emory & Henry College that wants to work can work regardless of whether or not they were awarded work study in their financial aid package.

  • Where will the student employment jobs be posted?

    ALL student employment jobs will be posted on E&H Connects, Emory & Henry’s own internal job posting system.  Every student has a FREE, LIFELONG account with E&H Connects, so to get started, please follow the linked instructions for accessing E&H Connects, completing the initial registration, and searching for student employment jobs!  Please note that E&H Connects not only houses student employment jobs, but also internships, full- and part- time jobs, volunteer opportunities, AND so much more!

  • Can I list student employment on my resume?

    YES.  Student employment is a job and can most definitely be an entry on your resume.  Like any job, student employment will provide students the opportunity to utilize and gain skills and abilities and a chance to grow professionally, so it can, and should, be on your resume.  Please take advantage of student employment as a real job experience!

  • Can my student employment earnings be automatically credited toward my tuition or other college charges?

    Yes.  Students have the choice of receiving direct payment for the hours worked (direct deposit or First Pay Card) or they can choose to have their earnings applied to their tuition or other college charges.  Students will be asked to complete a form which denotes their preference concerning payment.

  • How many jobs should I apply for?

    We suggest that you apply for at least five(5) student employment jobs at one time.  Why? Like any job search, you are competing with other candidates for the same job, so the more jobs you apply for the greater chance you have of receiving an offer.

  • How much will I get paid?

    Emory & Henry College currently has a graduated pay scale in place for all student employees which pays minimum wage to start. The pay scale is not a requirement and the use of this tool is at the discretion of the supervisor.

    • 1st year in position - $7.25 (min. wage)   
    • 2nd year in position - $7.50
    • 3rd year in position - $7.75  
    • 4+ years in position - $8.00
  • I’m a returning student and I plan to work in the same department where I worked last year. Do I have to apply again this year?

    No, but your supervisor will need to complete a new contract for the upcoming academic year renewing your student employment within their department.   Reach out to your supervisor before the semester starts to let them know you are interested in returning as their student employee for the coming semester (or year).

  • I’m a student athlete, how can I keep my athletic commitments and participate in student employment?

    The main thing to keep in mind is time management!  Being a student athlete is like having a part-time job on top of full-time student responsibilities, so your time is limited, but you can still participate in student employment by managing your time wisely.  We suggest that you pursue student employment even when you are in-season, but to communicate with your employer that your time will be limited during your in-season semester, but you will be able to work more hours during your out-of-season semester.  For example, if you are a fall athlete, plan to apply for student employment opportunities at the beginning of fall and let your employer know that you can work only 2-5 hours a week during fall semester, but will be able to work up to 10 hours a week during spring semester when you are not in-season.  Most on-campus employers will be able to work with your schedule.

  • What if an employer asks me to come in for an interview?  I’ve never interviewed before.

    First, congratulate yourself for receiving an offer to interview!  That lets you know that you have the qualities they are seeking in a student employee.  Second, prepare for the interview by reading through sample interview questions and think about how you would answer the questions.  For example, if the employer asks you, “What are your strengths,” how would you answer this question. Visit the linked Interviewing Guide for sample questions and answers.  Also, when you go for the interview, be sure to dress up a bit to show the employer you are truly interested in the position.  Dressing up for a student employment job DOES NOT MEAN a suit, but a pair of nice pants and a button-up shirt or blouse can go a long way!  DO NOT wear short shorts, pajamas, tank tops, or your athletic gear to the interview. Oh, and one more thing, be sure if you are offered the job to ask the employer what you are expected to wear to work!

  • When and how will I be paid?

    Students are paid on a biweekly basis. Students have the option of being paid via direct deposit or via First pay card. Paper checks will no longer be issued.

  • Will I be placed in a job or do I get to pick?

    We do not place students in student employment opportunities because we treat the process as an actual job search so the student has control of the jobs they apply for and the job(s) they accept.

  • Can I be fired?

    Yes. The state of Virginia is an at will state which means a n employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish “just cause” for termination), and without warning.      

  • Can I get paid for studying during my work time?

    No. Your work-study position is a real job just like any other job on campus. As an employee of the college, you are needed to work the times you are scheduled to work and to complete the tasks you are assigned. If you need time off to study, talk with your supervisor in advance about scheduling time off from your job. Remember, you have made a commitment to be at work at scheduled times. Work study is a “real job” where the employer requires work in exchange for wages.  If you have down time at your job, be proactive and ask your employer if they have anything they need you to do.  If they say no, not at this time, you can ask them if you can work on school work until there is a project that needs completing.

  • I do not want to work fall semester, can I wait until spring semester to find a job?  

    Yes, you can wait to work until spring semester, BUT waiting until spring semester will dramatically reduce the number of job opportunities you can apply for.  Most students will pursue a student employment job in the fall and will keep it the entire academic year (fall and spring) so where there might be 80+ open jobs in the fall, there might be 10+ open in the spring.  If you feel more comfortable waiting until the spring to work on campus, we suggest that you apply for jobs in the fall and let the employer know that you are looking primarily for hours in the spring semester.

  • I’m a Bonner, can I also get a student employment job?

    Yes, Bonner students are eligible to apply for student employment positions.

  • I’m a graduate student, can I get a student employment job?

    Unfortunately, no. Student employee positions are for undergraduate students only. Career Services is a wonderful resource that can assist Graduate Students in finding employment.

  • I’m a student with a disability, do I have to disclose this to the employer?

    You are not required to disclose, unless you would like to request accommodation for a part of the application or interview process or for the job itself.  If you need help navigating student employment as a student with a disability, please know there are individuals and resources to help. Visit the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) web site for on-line resources. In addition, Emory & Henry College Human Resources staff members can meet with you to discuss your employment disclosure (or non-disclosure) and accessibility questions.  To schedule an appointment with Human Resources, please contact Kim Steiner, Human Resources Director, at or 276-944-6112, or visit the Human Resources office on the 2nd floor of Kelly Library.  

  • I’m an RA, can I also get a student employment job?

    No, but there is one exception.  Only RAs that have been awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) are allowed to pursue a student employment job in addition to their RA position.

  • What happens if I don’t earn the full amount of my student employment award?

    The terminology of “student employment (work study) award” can be a bit misleading. If you are “awarded” student employment in your financial aid package, this simply means that you have the ability to earn up to that amount by working on campus.  It is not an automatic amount deducted from your tuition/fees, but an amount that you can earn by working on campus in a student employment opportunity. There is no penalty for not earning the full amount of your student employment award.

  • What if I need time off from my job?

    Please work with your supervisor to arrange any time off that may be needed.  This is just good work protocol. Let your supervisor know ahead of time that you will need a specific date off to confirm it is convenient. Do not wait until the day of to request the time off.  Be sure to also have a conversation with your supervisor about if you are sick, need to be late, or have an emergency, how they wish to be communicated with.  For example, some supervisors may ask you to call them, while others may request an e-mail.

  • What should I do if I decide that I don’t like this job?

    First things first, speak with your supervisor regarding the pieces of your job that you are not enjoying to see if any changes can be made. The worst thing that you can do is just stop showing up. If your concerns revolve around your supervisor then please partner with Maggie Hubble so that you can explore other options.  

  • Are their student employment jobs available at the School of Health Sciences?

    Not at this point in time.

  • I have more questions concerning student employment, who can I contact?

    Financial Aid Questions? Contact Denise Posey at 276-944-6752 or or by stopping by the CSA Office (First Floor Wiley Hall_#101)

    Required Paperwork Questions? Contact Adria Hayden at 276-944-6837 or via email at 

    Questions About Being Paid?  Contact Rhonda Montgomery at 276-944-6953 or via e-mail at 

    Need Help Finding a Student Employment Opportunity?  Contact Adria Hayden at 276-944-6837 via e-mail at or stop by the Career Center.