Below are links to media, articles, and other resources that might help you better understand the scope of the disaster and response efforts. Visit this area regularly as it is updated.
Race and Class:
- The Gendered Nature of Natural Disasters - This article explores how and why natural disasters have a more negative effect on women than men, particularly in mortality rates.
- Women and Girls Last? - This article explores how women and girls are often portrayed as victims while men are portrayed as heroes, and the hidden emotional work that falls to women during natural disasters.
Flood Relief Cleaning Buckets:
Would your team, class, or organization want to assemble a flood relief cleaning bucket?
Hurricane Harvey Cleaning Bucket Items (Estimated Value: $65.00)
- Liquid laundry detergent (one 50-oz. or two 25-oz. bottle(s) only)
- Liquid household cleaner (12‐16 oz. cleaner that can be mixed with water. No spray cleaners)
- Dish soap ( 16-28 oz. bottle, any brand)
- 50 Clothespins
- Clothesline (one 100-ft. or two 50-ft. lines, can be cotton or plastic)
- 7 Sponges (No cellulose sponges due to mold issues. Remove from packaging)
- 24-Count roll of heavy-duty trash bags (33-45 gallon sizes.Remove from the box)
- 18 Cleaning wipes (Handi-wipes or reusable wipes--No terry cleaning towels. Remove from packaging)
- 1 Can air freshener (Aerosol or pump )
- 1 Insect-repellent spray (6-14 oz. aerosol or spray pump with protective cover)
- 2 Pairs kitchen dishwashing gloves (Should be durable enough for multiple uses. Remove from packaging)
- 1 Pair work gloves (All Cotton, All Leather, or Cotton with Leather Palm)
- 5 Scouring pads (Remove from wrapper. No stainless steel, Brillo or SOS pads with soap built in.)
- 1 Scrub brush with plastic or wooden handle
- 5 Dust masks
Important Notes: All items must be new. All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic containers. No powders, please. If you cannot find the requested size of a liquid item, use a smaller size.
The Office of Spiritual Life in partnership with Emory United Methodist Church will be providing the buckets and lids. Please bring items in a bag labeled, “Cleaning Bucket”, with the name of your department(s), to the Memorial Chapel Fellowship Hall or Room 203/204 by Monday, September 11.
March 2018 Hurricane Relief Spring Break Trip
Emory & Henry College is in the early stages of planning an Intentional Spring Break Trip to the region affected by Hurricane Harvey. The dates for this trip will tentatively be March 10-18, 2018. If you would like to be a part of this experience, please contact Maggie Obermann at .
If you want to get involved or have other ideas, please let us know. E-mail Maggie Obermann, Civic Engagement Coordinator, at
EHC Responds is a collaborative partnership between the Appalachian Center for Civic Life and the offices of Student Life, Spiritual Life, and Facilities.