Pedagogy first, Technology second. When we consider the variety of assessment methods, it is important to keep in mind how technology, applied appropriately and effectively, will enhance the learning experience.
The ultimate goal of assessment is to create a better learning experience.
Assessment needs to be aligned with stated Learning Objectives.
- Establish the purpose of assessment.
- Integrate clear rubrics of different assessment methods.
- Use a variety of assessment methods to reach learners of different learning styles.
- Innovate with alternative assessment methods.
- General Standard 3, Quality Matters Higher Education Rubric, Sixth Edition
- Online Assessment, Pennsylvania State University
- Designing effective online assessment, University College London
- Online Assessment in Higher Education, University of Calgary
- Effective Assessment in a Digital Age, the Higher Education Funding Council for England
- How to Effectively Assess Online Learning, Magna Publications
- Adaptive Learning: Implementation, Scaling, and Lessons Learned