The resources below offer assistance and additional information about emergency and non-emergency services.
In an emergency dial 911.
Campus Police & Safety
Office: (276) 944-6222 Cell: (276) 356-7783
Campus Conduct Hot Line
1-866-943-5787 (Anonymous available)
|College Health Center||(276) 944-6219 or (276) 944-6538|
|Counseling Services||(276) 944-6857 or (276) 944-6793|
|Powell Resource Center||(276) 944-6144|
Non Emergency Sheriff’s Office
|Wellmont Urgent Care, Abingdon||(276) 619-0075|
|Smyth County Hospital||
|Johnston Memorial Hospital||
For more information regarding other emergency guidelines please explore the descriptions below:
In case of a dangerous person on campus...
- Remain calm, do not engage the intruder.
- A quick and quiet escape is suggested, if it can be done
- If attempting to escape, keep your hands elevated with
open palms visible, especially if encountering law enforcement officers. Follow all instructions given.
- If you cannot safely exit the building, seek secure shelter.
- Close and lock windows, lower blinds, remain out of
sight, and turn off the lights.
- Once secured, take cover behind concrete walls, thick
desks, and filing cabinets that are away from windows and doors.
- Remain quiet and turn off cell phone ringers.
In case of a fire...
- Activate the nearest fire alarm and CALL 911.
- Everyone must leave immediately when a fire alarm is
activated, even if there are no obvious signs of an emergency.
- Do not use the elevator.
- Remain calm and assist others in safely getting out.
Confine the fire by closing all doors and windows if
- Follow directions given by emergency personnel and go
to the location designated by your building coordinator.
In case of a medical emergency...
- If the person is seriously injured or non-responsive, CALL 911.
- Give key information to the 911 operator (location/address, type of injury/illness etc.) and stay on the line until help arrives.
- Ask others to assist (directing emergency personnel to your location, crowd control).
- Remain calm.
- If the person is not seriously injured, contact the College Health Center at 276-944-6538 or Campus Security at 276-944-6222 for assistance.
- Always report injuries on campus to the Office of the Vice President for Business & Finance
Please note that Automated Electronic Defibrillators (AED’s) are available on campus in the following locations:
o Campus Saftey Office
o Equestrian Center
o Kelly Library
o King Center Athletic Training Room
o McGlothlin-Street Hall 139
o Wiley Hall 121
o Van Dyke Student Center
In case of a tornado...
- Listen for the siren. A single siren blast will sound to alert you to check for emergency message via email and the Campus Alert System.
- Seek shelter inside a building until notified by College officials that it is safe to leave.
- An “all-clear” alert will be sent when the danger has passed.