Directions for Federal GRAD PLUS Loan
Directions for the Federal Direct GRAD PLUS Loan:
Instructions for graduate students and first time borrowers
Complete the following steps to satisfy all requirements for Federal Direct GRAD PLUS Loan
(Only Graduate Students are eligible for GRAD PLUS Loans)
- Review your Financial Aid Award Notification Letter and cost sheet to determine the estimated loan amount. (There is a 4.2% processing fee. Please consider this when requesting the loan amount.)If you are accepting your Federal Direct GRAD PLUS Loan, you must complete the following instructions:
- To complete the request and eMPN, go to studentaid.gov.
- Click on “Log In” and enter your FSA ID and password.
- Once logged in, click on “APPLY FOR AID”, then select “Apply for a Grad PLUS Loan”. Please read the directions carefully.
To complete the Direct GRAD PLUS loan, you will need:
- Approximately 30 minutes to complete. You must complete the request and eMPN in one session.
- Personal information required: permanent address, mailing address (if different from permanent address), telephone number, email address, alien registration number (if you are an eligible non-citizen), along with the name, address, and phone number of two personal references.
- Student information required: student’s full name, SSN, and date of birth.
- Employer information required: employer name and address.
- Once the credit check has been completed, you can complete the eMPN. Select “Complete Master Promissory Note”, then select, “GRAD PLUS Loan”. Please read and follow directions carefully. Both steps must be completed in order for the Graduate PLUS loan to be processed.
- Only a graduate student can apply for a GRAD PLUS loan.
- If you need to make any future adjustments to loan amounts, you must submit a completed and signed GRAD PLUS Loan Change form to the Financial Aid Office for processing.
If your Graduate PLUS loan is denied, you have the following options:
- You can appeal the denial decision by contacting Applicant Services.
- You may pursue an endorser application. If you have any questions concerning this process, please call Applicant Services.
Applicant Services for Direct PLUS Loan Borrowers
8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (ET) Monday-Friday
Please contact our office if you have any questions:
Financial Aid Office
PO Box 947
Emory, VA 24327