What are students’ rights under FERPA?
- The right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of request
- The right to request that their educational records be amended if they believe something is inaccurate
- The right to consent to the disclosure of all non-directory information.
Written consent to release non-directory information is NOT required from the student when it involves one of the following situations:
- A college employee with a legitimate educational interest or education-related “need to know”
- Other institutions where the student has enrolled or seeks to enroll requesting information on the student
- U.S. Department of Education, or state/local education authorities
- In connection with the receipt of student financial aid