Class Notes Updated January 2020
Dr. Miriam MacFarlan Herin won the 2018 Doris Betts Fiction Prize for her story “Lucky.” The award is presented by the North Carolina Writers’ Network and her story was published in the 2019 print version of the North Carolina Literary Review. Her book, A Stone for Bread, was selected as one of Kirkus Reviews Best Books of 2016. And her first novel, Absolution, won the 2007 Novello Press Literary Award.
Dick Kemper is Executive Director of Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association (VISAA). He was inducted into the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAA) Hall of Fame in December of 2019 at their national Conference. Dick received a Distinguished Alumni Award from Emory & Henry in 2010.
Beverly Laing retired in 2002 ans has been RVing ever since! She’s been a member of the RVing Women Camping Club since 1992 and is currently the membership chair. She says it “keeps her brain cells active!”
Linda Malone-Blackmon is retired as a professor at the University of Central Florida. She is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association.
Jack West has retired as a consultant. He has published a number of books on quality management, most recently The Journey-Achieving Sustained Organizational Success published in 2019.
George McCall has retired as the Senior Corporate Support Associate in the development department after 18 years in public radio at WUNC-FM, at UNC-Chapel Hill. Prior to that he worked in commercial radio sales and sales training. He and wife Helen celebrated our 51st anniversary in August 2019.
Sara Cole Rafferty is retired as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Hospice care and private practice.
Tommy Barber is the Educational Consultant for Hopetree Family Services. He is the Executive Direcor of the Jill’s Buddy Camp Education Foundation.
Clayton Horne as retired from teaching chemistry and biology in the Wythe County School System and Wytheville Community College. He is currently the Worthy Grand Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star in West Virginia. He is a Past Worshipful Master of AFAM and a Kazim Shriner. He and wife, Fran, have been married 51 years.
Doug Kanney was recognized by the Christiansburg Lions Club for accomplishments during his term as president. He was given the Melvin Jones Fellowship Award, an international award given by Lions International; the highest Lions Award given for public service. The club citied extraordinary membership increase, attendance record, and financial benevolent giving to local, state, and international agencies. The award has only been given four times since 1940.
Sally Ranck Weaver Is Dean of students and Director of Academic Success at the University of Montana School of Law.
Tim Berry is retired from 32 years in Commercial Banking and 8 years as a banking consultant.
Jack Dickerson is owner of Dickerson Life and Annuity.
Dr. Richard Groover is Associate Dean at Reynolds Community College. He is the author of The Environmental Almanac of Virginia, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Science Museum of Virginia, and a Fellow of the Virginia Academy of Science.
Dr. Richard Trollinger was named 2019 Citizen of the Year by the Danille-Boyle County Chamber of Commerce. (See online story.)
Rudy Martin was named in 2019 as one of the country’s best lawyers in the 26th edition of The Best Lawyers in America publication.
Dr. Becky Moore Bigoney has retired as Senior Vice President and Chief Medical officer for Mary Washington Healthcare. She was honored in 2019 wit the Rappahannock-Fredericksburg Rotary Club’s 2019 Ethics in Business Award.
Linda Neff Woodward is the Program Coordinator for The Origin Project, a program that seeks to inspire young people to discover and release their inner voices through the art of writing about their unique origins. She is retired as a teacher and now serves part-time as a remediation specialist at Flatwoods Elementary School.
William Booth is an Advocacy Consultant for the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. In 2016, William was honored by the Transforming Care Conference as an Organization Champion in Miami Valley. This award recognizes significant and impactful improvements in the field of LGBTQ+ health and wellness.
Lee Mason Welsford has retired. She owned a small residential and commercial cleaning company.
John Whitney is a math teacher at Flint Hill School. He has taught for 30 years in Fairfax County, but he retired and now teaches at a private school.
Dave Wiggins has returned to Ferrum College as the College’s Dean of Student Success. He formerly served the college as a counselor.
John Coleman retired in 2018 after 34 years as an attorney for the Office of the Solicitor, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Rev. Al Hammer is Executive Director at Olmsted Manor United Methodist Retreat Center – a 300-acre facilit in the Allegheny National Forest.
Patsy Townsend Hosner is Resource Manager at Hana Engineers & Consultants, LLC.
Dr. Lana Whited is a Professor of English and Director of the Boone Honors Program at Ferrum College. She was named Ferrum College Faculty marshal in 2019, was a nominee for the SCHEV Outstanding Faculty Award in 2016, and received the UMC Board of Higher Education’s Excellence in Teaching Award in 2014. She has been the editor for several books including, The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter, vol. I (2002), Critical Insights: The Harry Potter Series (2015), Critical Insights: The Hunger Games Trilogy (2016), and The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter, vol. II (coming out soon) and author of The Dream Denied: Homicide in the American Naturalistic Novel (coming out soon).
Larry Foster is the Senior Director of Advancement for King University.
Joseph Salyer retired in 2018 after a career in the United States Public Health Service.
Michael Hayter is Clinical Consulatant Pharmacist (Senior Care) for Southern Pharmacy Services. He serves on the board of Meadowview First, Inc. working for long term economic development for the Meadowview, Virginia, community. He also volunteers for SWVA Medical Reserve Corps.
Paul Hardy has retired from 34 years of federal service.
David Bassett announces a son, Oliver Richard, born in 2019. He and his wife, Jodie, work at General Motors, Spring Hill Assembly, manufacturer of Cadillac XT seris and GMC Acadia.
Freddy Clements was honored in 2019 with the William A. Meehan Legacy Award, given to honor a faculty member who has had a profound, positive, and sustained influence on the direction and progress of Jacksonville State University. (See online story.)
Mike Todd is the President/Owner of Systems Plus. He and Karen Griffey Todd have been married for 34 years.
Jerry York is a Personal Financial Counselor for Zeiders. (See online story.)
Annette Henderson Clark is a reading specialist for Washington County (Va.) Public Schools.
Mike Ruble is General Manager for Information Technology Integrators, LLC.
Dr. Mark Handy was honored by UVA’s Apha Omega Alpha (AOA) for excellence in clinical mentorship. Each year the organization recognizes a volunteer clinical faculty member; Mark was nominated by a UVA medical student and then elected by the UNVA School fo Medicine student body.
Glenn Spangler is the Director of Jackson River Technical Center.
Lynne Jacobson Critzer is Senior Product Manager for Anthem.
Derwin Hall is Vice President, Commercial Relationship Manager for American National Bank and Trust Company.
Connie Coggins McKeel is an Engineer Electrical Systems 3 at Huntington Ingalls industries – Fleet Support Group.
Karen Sykes Brown finished her M.S. in Curriculum and Instruction at Radford University in 2001 and finished her Ed.S. in Administration and Supervision from the University of Virginia in 2009. She is the principal at Grundy High School in Grundy, Va. She and husband, Troy, have been married 26 years. Karen was recently interviewed for a New York Times story on economic challenges in SWVA. (Read news story.)
Donna Love Seagle is the Vice President of Academic Affairs at Walters State Community College in Morristown, Tennessee.
Brian Bunn is Dean of Faculty at Oak Hill Academy. Son Austin is a 2014 E&H grad. Daughter Emily is a junior at E&H. Daughter Erin is probably getting a lot of pressure to attend E&H.
Joe Cundiff has published a new book, entitled Broken Chain: the Echo of Lone Howls.
Kerry Dodson is the Director of Events and Engagement for Water Mission, a clean water charity based in Charleston, SC.
Amanda Gilmer Nott is a product Manager at Jezabar.
Bart Thrasher is Chief Engineer for VDOT. Formerly the Richmond District Engineer, he led a transportation program that resulted in the successful completion of the GRTC Pulse bus rapid transit project in the City of Richmond. (Read more…)
Will Mullins has had requests from two reputable companies in Los Angeles asking for the opportunity to read his spec pilot script “The Manor.” Will’s guest blog articles have recently appeared at Submittable’s guest blog; The Institute of Internal Communication, and the 20th Anniversary Edition of The Dead Mule School of Southern Literature.
Rev. Jonathan Jonas is senior pastor at State Street United Methodist Church.
Karen Clements Wilborn is a teacher at Eastern Alamance High School.
Courtney Wood Pugh is owner and consultant of 4 PEAKS Educational Consulting, LLC. The company focuses on assisting families with obtaining early intervention, special education, and transition planning services for special needs children.
Mark Lambert is a Director of University Relations for Radford University Carilion. In 2019 he won the Mission Possible Award in recognition of work above and beyond the call of duty. (See online story.)
Andy Rhudy has received a second Medal of Valor for courageous rescue of two different individuals – one in a burning building, one in freezing waters. Read more at the link found on the E&H Alumni webpage.
Cristie Blevins Lester is Walk Manager for the Alzheimer’s Association of Northeast Tennessee.
Aaron Brand is head football coach at Irmo High School.
Margaret Turman Kidd is the Access and Electronic Records Archivist at Virginia Communwealth University, Tompkins-McCaw Library.
Barbara Woodward Stamberg has been inducted into the Phi Kappa Phi honor society. She earned this honor while earning her master’s degree at George Mason University in Educational Leadership Math Specialist K-8. She is now the Instructional Coach at Daniel Morgan Intermediate School.
Joseph Puckett is the General Manager for Point Broadband’s Virginia/Tennessee markets.
Casey Johnson is Head Boy’s Basketball Coach at Altavista High School.
Jill Watson Ross has announced a son, Liam. Jill is Public Relations Specialist at New River Community College.
Trevor Smith and Crystal Smith announce a baby, Hannah Storrar, born in 2019. She joins big sister Ella. Trevor is the Director of Traditional Worship at First Broad Street United Methodist Church.
Monica Jacobe is Director of Academic Advising and Support at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. She is also the Interviews Section Editor for Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy.
Susan Wechsler Johnson has married Tim Johnson. She is a Physical Therapist Assistant at Saber Healthcare Group.
Mindy Buchanan-King has graduated from the University of Charleston, South Carolina at the College of Charleston and The Citadel with an M.A. in English. She received the Outstanding Graduate Student Award. (See story online.)
Mark Arrington was named Virginia High School Physical Education Teacher of the Year by VAHPERD. He is also elected president of the organization in 2019. (See story online.)
Amin Faiz is a licensed clinical social worker doing mental health and substance abuse counseling with beterans at Princeton Veterans Center in Princeton, WV.
Jamie Radford is working with the Pulaski Yankees and Motor Mile Speedway.
Sheena Moyers Johnson and Alex Johnson announce a daugher, Temperance Jude, born in 2019.
Lindsey Ray Lawson and Bryan Lawson welcomed a daughter Stella Roosevelt in 2019.
Andrea Bowman Mender is Director of Workforce Services for the Greater Gainesville Chamber in Gainesville, Florida.
Amber Keene Wiley is Regional Human Resources Generalist at Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation.
Brianne Casteel Bailey is a PE teacher at Coeburn Middle school and she coaches varsity volleyball at Eastside High School in Coeborn.
Ryan Rexrode is Product Owner/Manager for PowerSchool, an education technology platform.
Jodie Overton is the Secondary Counselor Specialist for Knox County Schools.
Amy Hensley and Beau Blevins announce the birth of Atticus James, born in 2019.
Ashley Turnmire Dory announces the birth of a son, Ewan Miles, born in 2019.
Hillary Crowder Smith and Ray Smith (’07) announce a daughter, Virginia Maeve, born in 2019.
Kurt Vollmer is the Extension Specialist for Weed Management at the University of Maryland.
Courtney Bledsoe Washington is the Program Director with the Hospice of Chattanooga/Alleo Health team.
Lisa Evans Bourne and Josh Bourne announce a baby, Lillian Ruth, born in 2019.
Danielle Starnes Dye was married in 2018. She is Community Engagement Specialist for Ballad Health.
Meg Kelleher Griffith and Nate Griffith (’08) announce the birth of a son, Henry Joseph, born in 2019. He joins brothers Patrick and Andrew.
Dana Broyles Hutton is President of Southeastern College West Palm Beach. (See online profile.)
Lerae Edwards Collins and Ben Collins (’06) announce the birth of Wade Andrew, born in 2019.
Rev. Ryan Davenport is an Air Force Chaplain at McConnell Air Force Base.
Meghan Hawkins Digneit is in a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program to obtain a Nurse Practitioner degree. She works for U.P. Health Systems-Marquette. She announces the birth of Houston John, born in 2019 – he joins a brother Hawkins William.
Courtney Fridley Howard announces a daugher, Haynes, born in 2019.
Josh Myers is the firm manager of EMM Financial Services.
Julina Pyanoe is a Career Counselor at Western Washington University. She was married in 2018 and landed in Bellingham Washington after a one-year RV adventure.
Pylynn Virankabutra welcomed a son Charly in 2019.
Jarell Christian is the assistant coach for NBA’s Washington Wizards. (See story online.)
Dr. Brett Frye has completed his Ph.D. at Clemons University in Biological Services. He is a postdoctoral fellow at Wake Forest School of Medicine.
Andrew Hart and Hannah Hart announce the birth of Joseph Tate, born in 2019.
Erica Hess is a Director at Major, Lindsey & Africa, the oldest and largest legal search firm in the world.
Emily Cockerham Lee, CFP, is a Wealth Advisor and Financial Planner for Carson Wealth.
Kayla Morelock Purdie and Jonathan Purdie (’13) announce a son Crew, born in 2019.
Joshua Brown is Assistant Principal in Wake County Public Schools. He has a son, Nollan, born in 2018.
Alex Veatch is deputy director of community and economic development for the town of M arion, Virginia.
Tiffany Borowski is the Office Manager of Friendship Force of Lenoir.
Dr. Addie Clark won an OER Champion Award for an innovative grant project that allowed students to move away from expensive textbooks that were not used across the curriculum to open materials that were more accssible to students.
Kaylee Gallant and Jameson McLendon (’14) welcomed a daughter Elodie Victoria, born in 2018. Kaylee is the Hotel Manager for Candlewood Suites.
Samantha Alley Ketron is a pediatrician at Baptist Medical Group – River City Pediatrics, in Memphis.
Derek Larimer and Melissa Larimer announce the birth of a son, William, who joins a big brother, Samuel.
Annelise Shelton is the English Department Chair and teaches at The Blessed Sacrament Huguenot School, a Pre-K- 12 private school in Powhatan, Va. She teaches Junior and Senior Honors and AP English courses in addition to being the Yearbook and Senior class advisor.
Terri Roberts Willis is pursuing a master’s degree in religion at Harvard University.
Katie McLaren Yount and Spencer Yount announce a son, Rhett Henry, born in 2019.
Alison Asbell is the Executive Director of a nonprofit that helps the homeless transiton back into permanent housing. (See online story.)
Samantha Hammer Brown is a Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant for Heritage Health Pro.
Dr. Chase Edwards graduated from the E&H School of Health Sciences in 2018 and is an Orthopaedic Resident Physical Therapist at The Veterans Administration Hospital in Johnson City. He is also an adjunct faculty member in the ETSU Physical Therapy program.
Emily Findlay Hawkins and Chris Hawkins welcomed a son Mason Allen in 2019.
Dr. Emily Sikes is an optometrist in Fort Mill, S.C. She was married to Eric Petanoich in 2016, and they have a baby, Brooks, born in 2019.
Patrick Smith is public communications specialist for North Carolina State University’s Division of Academic and Student Affairs.
Kadie Britt won the 2019 Alwood Extension Award. She is studying integrated pest management of insects in hemp. Her research addresses the impact of hemp defoliation by the corn ear worm and brown marmorated stink bug, and suitable host pants of the cannabis aphid in Virginia. She is pursuing a Ph.D. at Virginia Tech.
Hannah Foster Cervantes and Jared Cervantes (’12) announce a son, Grayson Alexander, born in 2019.
Sarah Welch Denton is a Policy Analyst II in the Defense and Political Science Department at RAND.
Tyler Houk married Fallon Davis in 2017.
Joshua Lee and Michelle Lee were married in 2019. He is an attorney for an organization called The Council for Children’s Rights. It is composed of multiple teams that work to make sure children’s rights are being protected. Joshua’s team is called the custody advocacy team and he is a staff attorney on that team that represents the best interests of children in high conflict custody cases.
Consuela Perry is Manufacturing Process Technician for Novo Nordisk.
Dr. Adam Pugh is a 2018 DPT School of Health Sciences graduate. They welcomed a son, Easton, in 2019. (See online profile.)
Kim Caudill Weddle is an Accountant in the Bursar’s Office at Virginia Tech. She is also taking classes toward a master’s in accounting and is coaching volleyball at Carroll County High School and for a club volleyball team out of Carroll County that includes girls from all over Southwest Virginia.
Andrew Downard is a Remittance Processor III for the Navy Federal Credit Union.
Sarah Jerome is the assistant women’s soccer coah at the University of Scranton. While working full-time she is pursuing a Masters in Theology. She has served as a chaperone for two International Service Programs to Mexico and Nicaragua, and has chaperoned for trips to Death Valley on the Desert Experience Retreat, visiting the Arizona Mexico border to serve migrants. She also traveled to Jerusalem as part of her master’s work to learn about the Israeli Palestinian conflict.
Dr. Cortney Halsey Jessee completed a doctorate of Occupational Therapy in the charter class of Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences (MDCHS) at Mary Baldwin University. She an occupational therapist embedded into the Pre-employment Readiness and Education Program (PREP) at Wilson Workforce and Rehabilitation Center (WWRC). (See story online.)
Amanda Lazaro is an Occupational Therapist at OT4KIDS in Lexington, North Carolina.
Andrea Pasillas is a Spanish teacher at Powell High School, Knox County School System. (See online story.)
Dr. Adam Pugh graduated from the E&H School of Health Sciences in 2018. He is the Clinic Director and Physical Therapist at BenchMark Physical Therapy in Marion. He and wife, Amber, announce the birth of a son, Easton Daniel, born in 2019. (See online story.)
Zach Rhoades and Jackie Rhoades (’15) are stationed in Whidbey Island, Washington, at NASWI (Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. Jackie is in nursing school, and Zach is a Naval Flight Officer (NFO) on the P8 Poseidon. The P8 is an ASW (anti submarine warfare) aircraft.
Tosin Sanusi is a Personnel Secuirty Specialist for the Department of Defense in the Washington Headquarters Services in Washington, D.C.
Sarah Agron is Coordinator for the Migrant Health Network of Southwest Virginia Community Health Systems. (See online story.)
Dr. Mary Grace Hankins Bouldin has graduated from the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy (PharmD program, Class of 2019.
Haley Crutchfield Byrd and Logan Byrd announce the birth of Maren Elizabeth, born in 2019.
Katie Grimm is an Associate Attorney with Nelson, McPherson, Summers, and Santos.
Amanda Hiner is a Behavior Therapist at Building Independence Together in Charleston, South Carolina.
Dylan Johnson married Brittany Reynolds in 2019. Dylan is Area Coordinator & Intramural Sports Specialist at Emory & Henry.
Jake McNabb is a Major Gifts Officer for Ohio Wesleyan University.
Parker Wilson has passed the NAPLEX, MPJE and the Georgia practical exam and is a licensed pharmacist in Georgia working for CVS Pharmacy.
Samantha Brown is an Athletic Trainer with Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute.
Tim Gross is a solar home consultant at P.E.G Solar.
Marika Katanuma is a news editor for Bloomberg in Tokyo. One of her stories was recently featured on the front page of The Japan Times.
Danielle Moore Sullivan is a Human Resources Business Partner at Kollmorgen (Altra) Corporation.
Laken Brooks is a Research and Teaching Assistant with University of Florida’s English Department and the University Wing.
Paul Cozens is a Site Acquisition Specialist for Bamman Consulting.
Lindsey Dean is a high school biology teacher at Independence High School in Charlotte.
Ruthann Froberg and Alex Cooper were married in 2019. Ruthann graduated from the University of Kentucky with her MPA in 2019 and is currently employed as a tax and operations manager. Alex is due to graduate in the spring of 2020 with an MS in Geography from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Chris Gillenwaters and Kelsey Hubbard were married in 2019.
Jordan Chrisley Hurst announces a son, Reed, born in 2019.
Taylor Guardalabene has graduated from UNC Chapel Hill with a doctorate in physical therapy. She has also passed her licensure exam and is working at Vive Physical Therapy.
Jessica Harosky is the Crisis Case Worker for a Multi-Systemic Therapy Program for Child Abuse and Neglect (MST-CAN). She is pursuing an M.Ed. in Counseling and Human Development at Lindsey Wilson College.
John Keller is in law school at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law studying intellectual property law,with a focus on trademarks. His journal article, “Under Armour v. Uncle Martian: the End of Trademark Squatting in China?” was selected for publication in Volume 34 of the Maryland Journal of International Law.
Jessica Richardson is a data analyst for the United States Olympic Committee. (See online profile.)
Jade Ritterbusch has been working at the Department of Justice in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Roanoke wihle finishing her master’s degree in Political Science at Virginia Tech.
Tori Herndon Thomas is in the ETSU Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
Samantha Walls is a 6th grade teacher at Marion Middle School.
Rachel Haines has completed an AmeriCorps VISTA position with the United Way of Southwest Virginia where her work led to being named Volunteer of Year at United Way of Southwest Virginia’s Impact Awards in March 2019. She is now working toward an M.Div. degree at Emory University’s Candler School fo Theology.
Kelsey Jones is enrolled in the Radford University Master of Occupational Therapy Program, slated to finish in 2021.
Hannah Long is an Editorial Assistant at Harper Collins in New York City.
Brandy Ring (SHS’18) is the Physical Therapist and Owner of Mountain Valley Physical Therapy in Wytheville.
Amber Robinson is a special education teacher at Wise Primary School where she supports students with a variety of abilities.
Bailey Williams is a Staff Assistant at the United States Senate.
Kim Hill is Associate Director of People Incorporated.
Liv Jennings is working for the Sexual Assault Resource Agency in Charlottesville. She is also pursuing work as a freelance graphic designer: @livjenncreative on Instagram.
Becca Johnston works in the costume department for Virginia Stage Company in Tidewater. Over the summer she worked in the costume department at King’s Dominion.
Missy Jones is working with Cape Cod Radio in Hyannis, Massachusetts.
Tak Jones is Program Coordinator for Playworks Indiana.
Sarah Leonard is working for Chief Plenty Coups State Park in Pryor, Montana.
Kelsey Meyers is with Greenville County Behavioral Health’s AmeriCorps State Service Program.
Lindsey Pratt is teaching elementary art in Wythe County, Virginia.
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,48,764,812/3319_20180125_123141.rev.1519077228.jpg" alt="Emily Tolley Boyles" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,48,764,812/3319_20180125_123141.rev.1519077228.jpg 2x" data-max-w="764" data-max-h="764"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero">A St. Jude’s Hero</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Emily Tolley Boyles said she’d NEVER run a full marathon. But that was before she met Mighty Max. <a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/859-danny-carter-completes-masters-degree"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/194,405,1244,1454/6463_61933986_413186162600795_175495327241994240_n.rev.1559988285.jpg" alt="Danny Carter in shortly after the 2015 E&H Commencement ceremony where he received his underg..." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/194,405,1244,1454/6463_61933986_413186162600795_175495327241994240_n.rev.1559988285.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/194,405,1244,1454/6463_61933986_413186162600795_175495327241994240_n.rev.1559988285.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1050" data-max-h="1049"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/859-danny-carter-completes-masters-degree">Danny Carter Completes Master’s Degree</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary"><a href="https://archive.org/details/OntheDuckPondWall/Danny+Carter.mp3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Listen to an interview</a> with Danny recorded for WEHC-FM’s show, “On the Duck Pond Wall.” Or read more about this ambitious young man’s accomplishments. <a href="/live/news/859-danny-carter-completes-masters-degree" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1354-got-a-minute-find-out-how-drew-johnson-laney-is"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,549,549/8512_drew_laney.rev.1599169346.jpg" alt="Drew Johnson Laney with guitar and a big smile leading friends in music." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="549" data-max-h="549"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1354-got-a-minute-find-out-how-drew-johnson-laney-is">Got a minute? Find out how Drew Johnson Laney is enhancing lives</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary"><p><span style="font-weight: 400;">On Thursdays, you can often find Drew Johnson Laney (re’83) playing the ukulele and singing with a bunch of stuffed animals on Zoom.</span></p><p><span style="font-weight: 400;">But don’t worry about her: she’s working.</span></p><a href="/live/news/1354-got-a-minute-find-out-how-drew-johnson-laney-is" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/716-andy-rhudy-receives-second-medal-of-valor"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/57,80,320,343/6038_Andy_Rhudy.rev.1551734272.jpg" alt="Andy Rhudy, E&H '95, with daughters Bonnie and Molly and wife Julie Pennington Rhudy (" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="263" data-max-h="263"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/716-andy-rhudy-receives-second-medal-of-valor">Andy Rhudy Receives Second Medal of Valor</a></h4></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/710-mike-young-in-the-news"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/148,0,795,647/6079_mike_in_locker_room.rev.1553264705.JPG" alt="Mike Young (E&H '86) in the locker team with Wofford basketball team." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="647" data-max-h="647"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/710-mike-young-in-the-news">Mike Young: In the News!</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Mike Young (E&H ’86) and his Wofford basketball team made history on March 21 by being the first Wofford team to win a first round game in the NCAA Tournament. <a href="/live/news/710-mike-young-in-the-news" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1590-eamph-invited-back-to-coa-topics-range-from-bats"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/120,0,480,360/9216_bird.rev.1609964960.jpg" alt="Dr. Steven Hopp will talk about birds and birding. (This is a Common Yellowthroat.)" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="360" data-max-h="360"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1590-eamph-invited-back-to-coa-topics-range-from-bats">E&H Invited Back to COA: Topics Range from Bats to Barbershop!</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">The Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center’s College for Online Adults has invited Emory & Henry to participate in their winter class. All classes are offered free of charge and online. E&H will offer six sessions! <a href="/live/news/1590-eamph-invited-back-to-coa-topics-range-from-bats" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1215-small-town-values-at-a-big-company"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/143,58,1602,1513/8045_adam_walters.rev.1587134208.png" alt="Adam Walters, E&H Class of 2004, Swine Finishing Manager at Tosh Farms." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/143,58,1602,1513/8045_adam_walters.rev.1587134208.png 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/143,58,1602,1513/8045_adam_walters.rev.1587134208.png 3x" data-max-w="1459" data-max-h="1455"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1215-small-town-values-at-a-big-company">Small Town Values at a Big Company</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Adam Walters (E&H ’04) says his company, Tosh Pork, understands the importance of putting people first. <a href="/live/news/1215-small-town-values-at-a-big-company" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1384-got-a-minute-weve-got-big-news-from-the-jordan"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,39,480,519/8582_image0_3.rev.1601412386.jpg" alt="The Jordans: Oliver Jordan, Megan Hash Jordan, and their daughters Phia and Liv." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="480" data-max-h="480"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1384-got-a-minute-weve-got-big-news-from-the-jordan">Got a Minute? We’ve Got Big News from the Jordan Household</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">#LifeOnLavenderLane <a href="/live/news/1384-got-a-minute-weve-got-big-news-from-the-jordan" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1371-update-driveway-tailgate-contest-expanded"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,16,646,661/8547_tailgate.rev.1600195120.jpg" alt="Decorated tailgate party." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="646" data-max-h="645"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1371-update-driveway-tailgate-contest-expanded">UPDATE! Driveway Tailgate Contest Expanded! Celebrity Judge Announced!</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Fancy…or simple…the Home Yardage Driveway Tailgate Contest just got more interesting! <a href="/live/news/1371-update-driveway-tailgate-contest-expanded" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1199-eamphs-rodes-fishburne-launches-new-television"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/34,9,356,331/8013_Rodes_fishburne.rev.1586652695.jpg" alt="Rodes Fishburne, E&H Class of 1993" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="322" data-max-h="322"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1199-eamphs-rodes-fishburne-launches-new-television">E&H’s Rodes Fishburne Launches New Television Series</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary"><em>Paradise Lost</em> debuts April 13, 2020. <a href="/live/news/1199-eamphs-rodes-fishburne-launches-new-television" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1542-jelani-pattersons-business-expansion-is-a-puzzle"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/339,243,2227,2131/9070_PXL_20201026_194234472.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.rev.1606915319.jpg" alt="Jelani Patterson, Emory & Henry Class of 2003, and his wife Mylene. They created a new entert..." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/339,243,2227,2131/9070_PXL_20201026_194234472.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.rev.1606915319.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/339,243,2227,2131/9070_PXL_20201026_194234472.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.rev.1606915319.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1888" data-max-h="1888"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1542-jelani-pattersons-business-expansion-is-a-puzzle">Jelani Patterson’s Business Expansion is a Puzzle: and That Was Exactly the Plan</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary"><p> Not all who wander are lost:<br/> they might be exploring <a href="https://district57.com/">District 57.</a></p><a href="/live/news/1542-jelani-pattersons-business-expansion-is-a-puzzle" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1338-got-a-minute-get-to-know-susannah-davis-eamph-92"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/140,0,2272,2128/8423_DSC_0087.rev.1597088838.jpg" alt="Susannah Davis, E&H Class of 1992" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/140,0,2272,2128/8423_DSC_0087.rev.1597088838.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/140,0,2272,2128/8423_DSC_0087.rev.1597088838.jpg 3x" data-max-w="2132" data-max-h="2128"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1338-got-a-minute-get-to-know-susannah-davis-eamph-92">Got a minute? Get to know Susannah Davis, E&H ’92</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Find out what it means to welcome “everyone, everyone, everyone.” <a href="/live/news/1338-got-a-minute-get-to-know-susannah-davis-eamph-92" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1643-lisa-jordan-honored-by-the-eamph-alumni"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,175,175/9429_lisa_jordan_3.jfif" alt="Lisa Jordan, Emory & Henry Class of 1984" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1643-lisa-jordan-honored-by-the-eamph-alumni">Lisa Jordan Honored by the E&H Alumni Association</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Lisa Jordan, Emory & Henry Class of 1984, has been named the 2021 recipient of the E&H Distinguished Achievement Award, awarded annually by the Emory & Henry Alumni Association. (<span style="text-decoration: underline;"><a href="https://www.ehc.edu/alumni/get-involved/alumni-awards/">Read more about E&H Alumni Awards.</a></span>) <a href="/live/news/1643-lisa-jordan-honored-by-the-eamph-alumni" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/377-give-us-emory-henry-in-the-city"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,960,960/3728_EHCITY_SACREMENTO.rev.1522090608.jpg" alt="Senator Toni Atkins ('84) and Pam Kestner ('83) stole the show with their Patrick Henry Poses!" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,960,960/3728_EHCITY_SACREMENTO.rev.1522090608.jpg 2x" data-max-w="960" data-max-h="960"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/377-give-us-emory-henry-in-the-city">Give Us Emory & Henry In the City!</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">“E&H in the City” has become part of the E&H lexicon! <a href="/live/news/377-give-us-emory-henry-in-the-city" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1379-got-a-minute-find-out-how-traveling-abroad-changed"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/131,0,571,440/8573_Chris_Burnett.rev.1600966949.JPG" alt="Chris Burnett, E&H Class of 2008." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="440" data-max-h="440"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1379-got-a-minute-find-out-how-traveling-abroad-changed">Got a minute? Find out how traveling abroad changed Chris Burnett’s life.</a></h4></div>