Class Notes, Updated Fall 2018
John (’59) and Patricia Woods Dobbins celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 2018.
John (’60) and Lynda Lippard Cock report that John continues in his 13th year writing Journey Reflections, an ecumenical spirit blog daily; he has completed his 5000th entry. In 2017, Lynda spent 10 days in Chicago volunteering with the Archives of the Institute of Cultural Affairs and Ecumenical Institute.
Thelma Blake is retired from her career as a high school art teacher and is now a working artist giving private art classes in her studio.
David and Dianna Dix got to be VIP extras on the set of HBO’s award-winning comedy Veep. They are in Season 5, Episode 7.
Jeff Binneveld is a licensed real estate broker with Arrow Realty and Investments, Inc., Leesburg, FL. He specializes in foreclosed properties in the Central Florida area.
Gary Cron is “fulfilling his dream of living in Florida on the Gulf Coast in retirement!”
Brenda Gates Spielman is retired from software engineering (avionics and telecommunications) and is now back to writing. Bgspielman.com
Gordon Ewald Is a Master Certificated Flight Instructor Emeritus and renewed as a “Gold Seal Instructor” by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Ed Moorer was named 2016 Employee of the Year for Table Rock State Park, SC. He is Site Coordinator for Sassafras Mountain Hawk Watch in Pickens, SC, in September through November.
Phil Puckett retired in 2017 after more than 44 years in the property casualty insurance claims industry. At the time of his retirement he was Vice President of Claim Operation for AmTrust North America. Phil and wife, Beth Varnell Puckett (’72) reside in Marietta, GA.
Judy Hensley and her husband, Terry, have now retired and enjoy day trips and helping family. She is editing the newsletter for their condo complex.
Tom Bateman was awarded Realtor Emeritus by the National Association of Realtors.
Edward “Eddie” Fifer has been serving as the state president of the Virginia Education Association-Retired (2014-2018). He also works inside and outside the pro-shop of the Country Club of Bristol.
Kay Hessey Dickerson retired in 2017 as a senior financial accountant with SVP Worldwide. She has moved to the Charleston, SC, area.
James Ballard has published a book. William Edmondson “Grumble” Jones: The Life of a Cantankerous Confederate tells the story of a Confederate general who attended Emory & Henry.
Judith Elam Skelly sent us a great photo of her riding in the Cotswolds. “Riding has always been my passion and I am not ready to give it up yet!”
Carol Luther taught introduction to Film Studies in Japan for the Tennessee Consortium of International Studies (TnCIS) in a three-week summer school course. The consortium organizes study abroad courses for students in the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) system, which includes all public community colleges and universities in the state that are not in the University of Tennessee system. She and three other instructors were headquartered with students in Tokyo. Through a partnership with Chuo University, where classes were taught, students were paired with Japanese buddies. The group also traveled to Kyoto and Hiroshima for three days. Carol has previously taught with TnCIS in Ireland and France. She continues to teach as Professor of English at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN.
Frank Lewis has been promoted to Senior Lecturer in Arts Administration in the School of Environmental and Public Affairs at Indiana University-Bloomington.
Mark Martin was inducted into his high school’s (Clearwater Central Catholic) Sports Hall of Fame on August 31, 2018. He and his wife Myra Worsham Martin (’76) traveled to the Clearwater, FL, area for the induction and a family reunion. Mark is retired and enjoys watching sporting events and playing harmonica with several groups in the area. The Martins live in Abingdon, VA.
Cathy Singleton Nacrelli earned her Doctorate of Education degree in innovation and Leadership from Wilmington University in 2018. She is currently employed by Cecil County (Maryland) Public School System as Instructional Coordinator for Professional Development: Elementary Language Arts. She is married to Rob Nacrelli and has two children and three granddaughters.
Bruce Nave has been working in the banking industry since receiving his MBA from William & Mary in 1982. He is currently working in the Institutional Healthcare Specialty at TD Bank, responsible for providing financial services for not-for-profit hospitals in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. He is married to Dr. Emily Keyes, Ph.D., and they have four children and four grandchildren.
Steven White was elected to the Glade Spring Town Council in 2018.
Raymont Gordon is Store Manager for Circle K, Max Meadows, VA.
Morgan Griffith was reelected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2018. He represents the 9th District of Virginia.
Debbie Robinson is entering her 20th year as executive director of the Cambridge/Guernsey County Visitors & Convention Bureau. She became a “first-time mama” at 54 when she adopted her son, Kristopher.
Dr. Lana Whited is the editor of two recent books, Critical Insights: The Harry Potter Series (2015, with M. Katherine Grimes) and Critical Insights: The Hunger Games Trilogy (2016). Lana serves as Minister for Magical Education for Roanoke’s Generic Magic Festival and sings with the Franklin County Community Chorus. Ferrum College is still the site of her day job, as professor of English and director of the Boone Honors Program. Two of her four sons are students at Ferrum, and two are enrolled at Franklin County High School.
Randy “Quaz” Sell works for Burger King Corporation as a liaison between corporate offices and franchisees to protect the brand and optimize productivity.
Milburn Holbrook has been named Assistant Dean, Business and Finance at the College of Veterinary Medicine at NC State University.
Brenda Music-Chase has written a creative nonfiction book about growing up in Appalachia. The book is entitled In Search of Nell.
Pamela Roberts Gibson has completed her Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) from West Virginia University. She and her husband, Jerry Gibson, have each completed this designation and they have opened a clinic called The Gibson Counseling Center in Princeton, WV. It is a private practice providing therapeutic care and treatment of the highest standards to promote mental health. They cover a wide range of disorders from PTSD to stress management to grief counseling. Pam says, “Emory & Henry was a great stepping stone in my young adult life where I made lifetime memories and friends. Go, Wasps!”
Cheryl Faulkner and Jeff Lodge (’87) were married in June, 2017.
Rev. Carol Wilson is senior pastor at Munsey Memorial United Methodist Church in Johnson City, TN.
Mark Graham has completed the 2018 summer Institute for Educational Management at Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Sanders Henderson was elected to the Washington County School Board from the Jefferson District. He is an assistant football coach at Emory & Henry.
Ed Boyce is the interim pastor and Head of Staff for the First Presbyterian Church of Statesville in North Carolina – a church founded in 1753.
Phil Hoskins completed his master’s degree in Health and Wellness from American College of Education in the spring of 2018.
Jack Ginn was inducted into the North Carolina Wesleyan College (NCWC) Athletics Hall of Fame in June, 2018. He was the first head football coach in NCWC history and started a football program that became the first-ever undefeated USA South Champion in league history. Jack joined the NCWC staff in 2003 and by 2007 he was leading a program that they maintain is still their most successful – losing only their first game before winning 9 straight and all 7 conference games. They went to the NCAA tournament, and made history by being the first #8 seed to ever upset the #1 seed (beating Washington & Jefferson 35-34 in overtime). After seeing his team’s seniors graduate, he accepted a position at Grand Valley State University in Michigan. Since his arrival, the GVSU offense has been nationally ranked in the top 20 in nearly every offensive category.
Jim Benton was elected County Conservation District Supervisor in 2018.
Dr. Linda Coutant has completed her Doctor of Education degree (Ed.D.) in educational leadership (2017), with a focus on the use of mindfulness and other contemplative practices in higher education. In December 2017, her research was published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Contemplative Inquiry with the title “The Mindful Campus: Organizational Structure and Culture.” She is senior editor/writer in University Communications at Appalachian State University and teaches journalism as an adjunct. Instructor in the university’s Department of Communication.
Kim Crowder is the Facility Director for Kingsport Family Recovery Associates.
Terra Schehr has been appointed the inaugural associate vice president of educational planning and development at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA).
Toby Applegate, a lecturer in geography in the department of geosciences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, was awarded a yearlong fellowship from the Louise W. and Edmund J. Kahn Liberal Arts Institute at Smith College to contribute to an interdisciplinary project on refugees and forced migration. The project will take place during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Will and Jenn Mullins welcomed a daughter Calliope in March 2017. Will is the product manager at CastleBranch and continues to write screenplays, poetry, and fiction.
Lindy Parks White is the CEO of Providence Health Northeast in Columbia, SC. She has served as CEO of Franklin Woods Community Hospital/Woodridge Hospital and Smyth County Community Hospital in Marion, VA.
Kim Cressell is founder and owner of The Reserve SRQ, a popular coffee/tea shop and indie book store, as well as a craft beer and wine bar in downtown Sarasota, FL. The Reserve has completed more than a year of operation, is well-known and popular, and is located in three historically significant buildings one owned by the Ringling family (of circus fme). Read more…
Rev. Jonathan and Suzanne Jonas welcome their fifth child, Josie Blair Jonas, born June 2017. Older siblings are Grace, Brett, Micah, and Sage. Jonathan is senior pastor for State Street United Methodist Church and serves as a member of the Board of Trustees at Emory & Henry College.
Chandler Jones is Rector of Saint Barnabas Anglican Church, Dunwoody, FA, and Bishop Suffragan of the Diocese of the Eastern United States Anglican Province of America.
Chuck Anderson was recently promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army. Chuck and his wife, Dr. Karen Sigmon Anderson, live on the historic Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.
Ernie Maddy is a Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer at Virginia Community Capital Bank.
Misty Carico-Boardwine has served on the Glade Spring Town Council since 2016.
Mike and Julie Donathan announce the birth of a second child, Zachary Lee Donathan, born Aug. 2018.
Jennifer Fishel and Drew Straub (’94) were married in Memorial Chapel in April, 2018. They have a daughter, Lydia Straub.
Allison Mays is Director of Grant Writing and Agency Advancement for Mount Rogers Community Services Board.
Bryan Cook is the Employee Services Director for Monroe County in Key West, FL.
Trudy Stone Cobler is the Assistant Principal at Chilhowie Elementary School.
Melissa Mitchell Bowe was promoted in Aug., 2018, from Assistant General Manager to General Manager with EAT Restaurant Partners at Osaka Sushi & Steak in Richmond, Virginia.
Sherri Tharpe Hale is a Digital Learning Coach at Valle Crucis School in Watauga County, NC, coaching teachers in the use of technology.
Michael and Stephanie Turner announce the birth of Ella Noelle Turner, born Oct., 2017.
Regenia Walls Charapich is a park ranger at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, VA.
Blaine Elliott is currently owner of CaZiWa LLC, a real estate investment firm. Blaine’s firm is focused on investing in single family homes in the Roanoke Valley of Virginia and surrounding areas and improving the homes and neighborhoods by providing quality, affordable housing for a growing community of people with the desire to rent rather than own. CaZiWa also provides a platform for investors who wish to enter the real estate investment asset class passively.
Allison Fitzgerald Barham has received a master’s degree in Educational Leadership from Carson-Newman University. She is the elementary principal at Chattanooga Christian School.
Jamie Harris is the Director of Human Resources, Maintenance, Transportation, and Emergency Operations for Morgan County Schools (Berkeley Springs, WV). He was previously the assistant principal at Berkeley Springs High School for six years.
Dr. Eric Drummond Smith, assistant professor of political science at UVA-Wise, continues to be recognized as a prolific artist and pundit. He was featured in a Joe Tennis article in the Bristol Herald Courier in 2017 for his art that combines culture with politics. In 2018 he was the featured artist at Wolf Hills Brewery with a show called Black Ink Epiphanies, and he also had a show at the William King Museum of Art entitled Music: both shows are original art. His podcast, Ask A Political Scientist, is updated around elections and crises.
Angie Roberts Mattingly completed the 2018 United Airlines New York City Half Marathon.
Sean Taylor is planning director for the town of Oak Ridge, NC.
Robin Saviola announces a son, Grayson James, born Jan., 2018. She is the Executive Director of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Kershaw County in Camden, SC. This is a new organization that serves 1000 at-risk youth in throughout the county.
Dr. Meredith Fellows Parker is the Human Resources Director for the Powhatan School District. She was previously the Associate Principal at Tuckahoe Middle School.
Jane Horner Edwards is with Allstate as part of the governance team for their new knowledge management tool.
Anne McClanan Barker is working for Amazon Business as a senior commercial account executive for the Northeast. According to Anne, “Amazon Business is everything you love about Amazon but for businesses.”
Nikki Hay Morrison is the grant researcher/writer for Northeast State Community College.
Kylee Sollien is now the lead of the LES Electoronic Notebook design work-stream at Biogen. She is married to Brent Nester and they have two children, Owen (5 years old) and Luke (2 years old).
Julie Taylor Hopkins is assistant professor of social work and director of social work field education at King University in Bristol.
Richard and Rachel Helvey Rhodes announce a son, Oliver Bowman Rhodes born Nov. 9, 2018
Brent Treash is the director of athletic communications for the Emory & Henry College Athletics Department. He will oversee the day-to-day marketing and communications efforts for all E&H athletic teams.
Karen Gilmer is Plant Environmental Coordinator for AEP-APCo. Clinch River Plant. She is chair of the SWVA/NETN chapter and International Board Representative of the Women’s International Network of Utility Professionals. She is also a 2018 POWER award recipient.
Barret (’05) and Christy McGhee Blevins announce the birth of their daughter, Elodie Reese Blevins, born May, 2018.
Jessica Newhart is Assistant Regional Counsel for the Department of Children’s Services in Kingsport.
Sarah Pearman Frank welcomed their second child Rebecca Ann born Oct., 2018. She joins an older sister Deborah Grace.
Brooklyn Sawyer Belk announces the birth of Joseph Matthew, born Oct., 2017.
Lindsey Guynn Utt is hitting milestones as the owner of Lindsey’s Perpetual Puckers. She started with Lipsense and then began selling all products from the SeneGence brand. Since her startup in 2017, Lindsey has achieved top awards in personal sales and continued to receive such titles as SeneSales achiever, Toughest Inner Circle Qualifier and was even ranked to the SeneGence Royal Court. Lindsey lives in Galax with her husband Brian and sons Brody Jefferson (born 2013) and Beau Jameson (born 2018).
Bambi Nicole Osborne married Bo Watson in Aug., 2018. Bo is a Tennessee State Senator (who was just re-elected in 2018). Bambi is an attorney in the Government Relations segment in the Chattanooga office of the Nashville-based Waller law firm. Waller is a provider of legal services to the healthcare, financial services, retail and hospitality industries. Bambi has had years of experience as an attorney and lobbyist, representing client interests with elected officials in the Tennessee General Assembly, the United States Congress and government officials in local, state and federal agencies. Read more…
Matt Strutner received a promotion from within SMG-Knoxville after only four months with the company. He is now Event Manager at the Knoxville Convention Center.
Nikki Henry married Andrew Miller in June, 2018.
Preston and Bethany Hughes (’06) Gordon announce the birth of their second child, Paxton Ryder in May, 2018.
Tiffany Hunt Tyree is currently Assistant Head of School at Elk Hill Staunton, VA. She and husband Darin, welcomed a new daughter, Emerleigh Korynne, in Oct., 2018. She joins big sister Kadynce, 12.
Jessie Stuhl welcomed a baby, Finley John Fitterman, in October of 2017.
Dr. Stacie Woolard announces the birth of twins, William Brice and Benjamin Cooper born Oct., 2017.
Frank and Valerie Taylor Roth announce the birth of Frank Peter Roth III, born Nov., 2017.
Dustin and Katherine Bays have a daughter Annabelle Bays, born September, 2016. Dustin is Vice President, Controller at the Bank of Botetourt.
Sarah Bailey Sutphin has three sons, Cooper, Collin, and Carter. She is teaching kindergarten in her hometown of Narrows.
Sunni Blevins Brown graduated May, 2018, from the University of Richmond School of Professional and Continuing Studies with a Master of Liberal Arts degree. (And she did it while being mom to four children!)
Josh and Cecille Lawson Skeens announce a daughter Millie. She joins big sister Mary Grace.
Peter Oakman is the General Manager of Sun Express Charter Company in Anaheim, CA. He and wife, Katie, announce a baby, Julianne Audrey, born October, 2017. She joins a big brother, Madison.
Amanda “Rue” Atkins married Khris Mogren in December, 2017. The two met while working at Moog Inc. – which designs and manufactures high-end technical components on a global scale – including motors, actuators, slip rings, fiber optic rotary joints, and more.
Anthony Boyd is general sales manager for Honda Kingsport.
Benjamin and LeRae Edwards (’08) Collins live in Knoxville. Benjamin is a teacher and girls basketball coach at Central High School, and LeRae is the Director of Communications for the Holston Foundation of The United Methodist Church.
Jessica Hawks is the Associate Director of Admissions Operations for Emory & Henry College.
Erin Stafford is a residential case manager at the Presbyterian Children’s Home in Wytheville.
Kayla Carter and Brady Loudy were married in 2013. They have a daughter, Dera Loudy (age 7) and twins, Demi and Dane Loudy (age 2). Kayla is a licensed Clinical Social Worker for Commonwealth of Virginia and in a private practice setting.
Richard Devine married Alix Stelly in June 2018. He is a physical education teacher and middle school athletic direcytor and girls soccer coach at Episcopal School of Acadiana in Broussard, LA.
Daniel and Monica Renae Halsey Shew have a son Rory, born Dec., 2016.
Tyler Haslam announces the birth of Luke Alexander, born Oct., 2017. He joins a big brother, Will.
Frank and Molly Metke Luton announce the birth of Sullivan Partlow Luton, born May, 2018.
Megan Mitchell and Michael Armbrister (’99) were married June, 2018. They welcomed a son, Jack Clifton Armbrister. in August, 2018.
Emily Tolley Boyles is Assistant Principal at Galax Elementary School. She is pursuing a doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies through Virginia Tech. She serves on the board of directors for the Virginia Association of Elementary School Principals. She and husband Brandon Boyles (an attorney) have two children Connor and Caroline. Read a great story about a twist of fate with her entry in the Rock ‘n Roll Marathon.
Megan Auldridge Coulston announces the birth of Lawrence D. Coulston IV, born January 2018.
Rev. Ryan Davenport has been a U.S. Army Chaplain since 2016 after serving thte local church for four and a half years. He is now in Fort Campbell, KY, where he serves as the Battalion Chaplain for around 850 soldiers in the 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Iron Rakkasans—Air Assault).
Brandon Ayers owns his own law firm in Salem, VA. At Ayers Law, PLLC he primarily does criminal defense and family law, but handles civil matters as well.
Courtney Fridley married Jeremy Howard in October, 2017.
Travis and Meaghan Funk Rookstool announce a daughter, Avery Elizabeth. She joins an older sister, Payson.
Lindsey Layman is an environmental Analyst with Roanoke Cement Company. They are the only active cement manufacturer in Virginia, and they operate on a 2500 acre facility in Troutville, VA.
Josh Myers is president and owner of his own company, EMM Financial Services, Inc. In 2018, he was elected Guilford County (NC) Soil and Water Supervisor.
Christopher Odell has been with the Association of American Medical Colleges for 4 years.
Adam Taylor is the Catawba Sustainability Center Manager. The center is a collaboration between Virginia Tech, Virginia Cooperative Extension, and Roanoke County. He and Elizabeth Spellman were married in October, 2018.
Anthony and Emily Thomas Luciano announce the birth of Thomas Augustus Luciano, born Nov., 2017.
Michael Fintel is an Assistant Director of Admissions at Roanoke College.
Ashley Griffith and Jonathan Arnold (’10) were married April 2016.
Scott McConnell is an Assistant Football Coach at Hampton University.
Sarah N. Moore is with Strategic Healthcare Resources in Knoxville.
Micah Morris is an Account Executive at EveryAction. www.everyaction.com
Lindsay Pulfer Langett was selected to participate in the Virginia Department of Education’s 2018 Superintendent’s Partner School Leaders’ Site Visit in France. She was one of only four chosen for this competitive scholarship opportunity from among more than 20 applicants from licensed French teachers across Virginia. She was flown to and lodged in Paris for a variety of professional development opportunities in Reims and Paris coordinated by the French Ministry of Education. Lindsay teaches French at Jefferson-Forest High School in Bedford County, teaching French II, III, IV and AP classes “while advocating for the cultural importance of language study in a secondary language.” She was a Bonner Scholar at E&H, and studied abroad at Universite Paul Cezanne Aix-Marseille III.
Chris and Caitlin Wright Duble announce the birth of Sutton Elizabeth, born April, 2018.
Joshua Brown is Assistant Principal and Testing Coordinator at Enloe High School in North Carolina.
Donald Denton is a primary therapist at The Center for Discovery Resilience TRC.
Caitlin Kelley Cook announces the birth of Emma Lorraine Cook, born Oct., 2017.
Leigh Ann Graham Lloyd was elected Mayor of Glade Spring, VA, in 2018. She is the first woman to serve in that role in Glade Spring’s history.
Brittany Rogers Smock is a Certified Athletic Trainer with Carilion Clinic Orthopedics.
Zach Triplett is a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) when he’s not working as a flight attendant and flight attendant instructor for Delta Airlines.
Rev. Richard Aylor was called to serve as an interim Associate Pastor at First Presbyterian Church in Wilmington.
Anna Bryant is the Outreach & Development Coordinator for Appalachian Independence Center in Abingdon.
Noah Hayden is an Army Captain stationed at Fort Bragg.
Christina Howard is the Marketing Director and Graphic & Web Designer for the Olde Farm Golf Club.
Ashton Morrow married Victor Kang in July, 2017.
Sarah Petty is loving the Pacific Northwest and is an 8th grade science teacher at McKnight Middle School in Renton, WA.
Ed Smith married Krista Johnson of Bel Air, MD, July 2017. He earned his MS in Applied Health Physiology at Salisbury University in May 2014. Ed has been the Director of Strength & Conditioning at University of Lynchburg since July 2016.
Ellen Smith is a Development Association in the Office of Gift Planning at Duke University.
Spencer Yount is General Manager of Operations for Star Heating & Cooling in Harrisonburg, VA.
Andrea Behrer married Cory Sheridan Sept., 2017.
Camille Briggs is a Life Enrichment Director at The Crossings at Spring Hill, Assisted Living and Memory Care.
Samantha Hammer Brown is an occupational therapy assistant at Sunnyside Presbyterian Retirement Community.
Dr. Chase Edwards graduated from with the first cohort of Doctor of Physical Therapy students from the Emory & Henry School of Health Sciences in 2018. He is spending this year in an orthopaedic residency program in Johnson City, TN.
Zach and Olivia Hupp have a daughter Lennox Harper. Zach has been serving with the U.S. Coast Guard in Bahrain, but he is back in the United States now.
Libby Hurley is a Delta Air Lines Flight Attendant and is calling the San Francisco Bay Area home.
Cate Leornard is a 4th grade teacher at Bluford S.T.E.M. Academy in North Carolina.
Hannah Rhodes is the assistant director of communications at National Cathedral School in Washington DC
Hai Yan Chen has graduated with an M.A.Ed. in Higher Education and Student Affairs from Virginia Tech. She is the global programs coordinator at the UVA Darden Graduate Business School.
Kayla Clark married William Whitson in Sept. 2017. She works at Boothe Chiropractic Center in Marion.
Darin and Erin Holben Cralle have a daughter, Eleanor Catherine “Nora,” born Jan., 2018.
Jamie Cockerham married Evan Williamson (’14) in July, 2017.
Becca Hanley graduated from the University of Kentucky with a master’s degree in Nutritional Science in 2015. She moved back to Virginia from Lexington, KY, and currently works as a Nutritionist with the Virginia Department of Health in Charlottesville, VA.
Mark Robertson is the Sports Information Director at Lynchburg College.
Michael Shipley graduated from Virginia Tech with a Masters of Public Administration (MPA) and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Garth Stevens-Jennings graduated from Wesley Theological Seminary with a Master’s of Divinity and a Master’s of Theology.
Rev. Rachel Witt was married to Rev. Gryff Carosiello in May, 2018. They are both United Methodist Pastors serving in the Greenville, SC, area.
Carter Aylor is the Assistant Director of Development for Leadership Gifts at Virginia Tech College of Science.
Dr. Callee Danielle Blankenbeckler graduated summa cum laude with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy at ETSU in May, 2018. She is working for Food City pharmacy and is licensed in Tennessee and Virginia.
David Bledsoe has completed law school at the Lincoln Memorial University, graduating 6th in his class. In 2017, he was awarded the Justice Gary R. Wade Award, given annually to “one law student who demonstrates outstanding academic performance and unwavering dedication to the community.” He was also awarded the LMU Lincoln Lawyer Award for strength in legal writing, oral argument, and leadership. He has passed the Tennessee Bar and is now an attorney with Breeding Henry Baysan PC in Knoxville. Read more…
Austin Bunn and Lauren Payne (’13) were married October 2015.
Chelsea Campbell is employed at Campbell Law Firm and serves as the Head JV Softball Coach for Marion Senior High School. She is enrolled at Liberty University pursuing a master’s of education degree with a concentration in school counseling.
Melissa Keller Foster moved from treating cancer patients to cancer prevention in women’s health. In January 2018, she became the first advanced practice provider to join Virginia Physicians for Women in over a decade.
Aaron Gillespie is an assistant commonwealth attorney in Tazewell County. He began his career clerking for Judge Hurley and Judge Patterson in the Circuit Court of Tazewell County. He and his wife Anna were married 3 years in 2018 and they have a daughter, Evelyn Joy Gillespie, born Jan.,2018.
Dr. Adam Pugh graduated with the first cohort of Doctor of Physical Therapy graduates at the Emory & Henry School of Health Sciences. He was married to Amber Roberts in June, 2019. He is a physical therapist at BenchMark Physical Therapy in Marion, VA, and the duo live in Glade Spring.
Sylvia Robbins switched jobs in 2017 from mental health to finance. She expects to open up her own Edward Jones Investment office in Abingdon, VA, in Dec., 2018.
Sarah Agron is an outreach worker for the Migrant Health Network in Smyth and Washington Counties (VA).
Kaylan Brickey was married to Jonathan Bales in May, 2018. She is working in the marketing department of Southwest Virginia Community Health Systems. She is currently pursuing my Masters of Education (M.Ed) in Teaching and Learning from Liberty University, and will graduate with that degree in Dec., 2018.
Emily Carrier married Drew Dennison (’13) in Oct., 2016. Drew is a Manager at Penske in Blountville, TN. Emily is a Public Relations and Marketing contractor - which allows her to work from home or while traveling.
Amanda Holman married Justin Gobble (’17) in July, 2017.
Brittney Horn married Robbie Gaines in 2015.
Dylan K. Johnson is a full-time youth pastor at Highlands Fellowship church in Bristol, VA.
Kerri McGrady and Jordan Smith (’18) currently live outside of Raleigh, where Jordan works for the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. Kerri will graduate with her Doctorate in Pharmacy from Campbell University in May 2019.
Jake McNabb is Assistant Director of Annual Fund Initiatives at Duke University.
Shelby Carico is in a DMA program in Trumpet Performance, Pedagogy, and Literature at James Madison University.
Haleigh Cole and Cole Conley (’14) were married June, 2018.
Christina Druen is a Graphic Designer at K-Va-T Food Stores in Abingdon
Cheyenne Campbell is an Accounting Technician for US Geological Survey.
Alex Cooper has been a GIS Researcher at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He is a master’s of science student at the University of Tennessee College of Arts and Sciences studying geography.
Jackson Feezell is a Ph.D. student in Anthropology at Binghamton University, SUNY.
Jessica Harosky is with Creative Family Solutions/ResCare in Abingdon doing In-Home Services for the intellectually disabled /ID population. They serve several Community Services Boards in the area, providing in-home and group home services.
Megan Jacoby is a patient experience representative at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Tori Herndon and Isaiah Thomas married in October, 2017.
Erin Kirk married Tim Coulter (’16) in Spring 2017. Tim is in the Marine Corps and have been stationed in 29 Palms, CA. Erin has completed an internship on the Marine base at the Natural Resource Environmental Affairs (NREA).
Noah Martin is a teacher at Franklin County High School.
Desmond Perry is a youth director at First United Methodist Church in Wytheville and is a part-time sales associate at Blue Ridge Auto Group in Wytheville.
Jade Ritterbush is working with the U.S. Department of Justice.
Andrew Siva earned an MA in Social Justice and Community Organizing from Prescott College.
Ian Smith is the athletic coordinator for Haywood County Recreation & Parks.
Devynne Stiltner and Aaron Napier (’16) were married in May, 2017.
Catherine Wiedman is the communications coordinator for the Fairfax Bar Association.
Casey Heinlein is the director of operations and community engagement for REACH. REACH is a nonprofit organization in Roanoke that operates as an umbrella organization for five programs — Summer Service Camp, Alternative Breaks, Neighborhood Revitalization Projects, Community Connections, and Corporate Volunteering. They strive to “teach a life of service to others, both to our volunteers and to the communities we serve, by working collaboratively as a way to build healthy, happy individuals and thereby stronger communities.”
Eric Murphy has accepted a job with AmeriCorps teaching third through fifth grade in Arlington, VA.
Sydney Norwood is a science teacher with Cornerstone School, a private school in Ocala, FL.
Jerry Wharton is working as a EMT in Bristol for patient contact hours in preparation for PA school applications.
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/519-dogs-best-friend"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,3200/4527_IMG-9834.rev.1536347287.JPG" alt="One of the adoptable dogs found at BARK." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,3200/4527_IMG-9834.rev.1536347287.JPG 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,3200/4527_IMG-9834.rev.1536347287.JPG 3x" data-max-w="2400" data-max-h="3200"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/519-dogs-best-friend">Dog’s Best Friend</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">David “Skip” Harless shows up day after day to make sure the dogs of BARK feel loved. <a href="/live/news/519-dogs-best-friend" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1592-tracey-reed-will-do-almost-anything-to-get-your"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,201,720,921/9261_tracey_reed.rev.1610382816.jpg" alt="Tracey Reed, E&H Class of 1998, recently put some underwear on her head to promote the day’..." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,201,720,921/9261_tracey_reed.rev.1610382816.jpg 2x" data-max-w="720" data-max-h="720"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1592-tracey-reed-will-do-almost-anything-to-get-your">Tracey Reed Will Do Almost Anything to Get Your Kids to Read</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Wearing underwear on her head is just part of the fun of her work. <a href="/live/news/1592-tracey-reed-will-do-almost-anything-to-get-your" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1353-eamph-football-is-on-the-air-in-2020"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/577,339,1851,1613/7057_score.rev.1571769042.jpg" alt="Oct. 19, 2019, Emory & Henry’s Max Yates catches a Hail, Mary pass to win the game against ..." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/577,339,1851,1613/7057_score.rev.1571769042.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/577,339,1851,1613/7057_score.rev.1571769042.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1274" data-max-h="1274"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1353-eamph-football-is-on-the-air-in-2020">E&H Football is On The Air in 2020!</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">When the going gets tough, the tough get creative! And sports fans will be pleased to know that the E&H football program is getting creative: they have found a way for us to enjoy a little Wasp Football this fall. <a href="/live/news/1353-eamph-football-is-on-the-air-in-2020" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,48,764,812/3319_20180125_123141.rev.1519077228.jpg" alt="Emily Tolley Boyles" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,48,764,812/3319_20180125_123141.rev.1519077228.jpg 2x" data-max-w="764" data-max-h="764"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero">A St. Jude’s Hero</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Emily Tolley Boyles said she’d NEVER run a full marathon. But that was before she met Mighty Max. <a href="/live/news/296-a-st-judes-hero" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1150-class-notes-updated-and-combined-march-2020"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/122,77,670,625/7841_Brett_Frye.rev.1583943335.png" alt="Dr. Brett Frye, E&H '09, is now at Wake Forest University." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="548" data-max-h="548"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1150-class-notes-updated-and-combined-march-2020">Class notes updated and combined March 2020</a></h4></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1687-all-the-worlds-a-screen"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,767,753/9566_kari_Kitts_Rothstein_2.rev.1616077619.jpg" alt="Kari Kitts Rothstein, E&H Class of 2004" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,767,753/9566_kari_Kitts_Rothstein_2.rev.1616077619.jpg 2x" data-max-w="767" data-max-h="753"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1687-all-the-worlds-a-screen">All the World’s a Screen</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Kari Kitts Rothstein isn’t waiting for theatres to reopen before expanding her passion for live dramatic performance. She has found a clever way to bring theatre to your computer screen – and the response has been great. <a href="/live/news/1687-all-the-worlds-a-screen" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1273-finding-strategies-for-business-during-the"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,81,531,612/8140_Brian_Chandler2019.rev.1588795040.jpg" alt="Brian Chandler, E&H Class of 1997" class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" data-max-w="531" data-max-h="531"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1273-finding-strategies-for-business-during-the">Finding Strategies for Business During the Pandemic</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Brian Chandler’s public relations firm is offering data-driven advice to companies. <a href="/live/news/1273-finding-strategies-for-business-during-the" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1549-all-the-evidence-points-to-preston-lowe"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/135,0,1677,1542/9081_image0_6.rev.1606956464.jpg" alt="Preston Lowe, Emory & Henry Class of 1996, with one of his adopted Greyhounds, Strummer." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/135,0,1677,1542/9081_image0_6.rev.1606956464.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/135,0,1677,1542/9081_image0_6.rev.1606956464.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1542" data-max-h="1542"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1549-all-the-evidence-points-to-preston-lowe">All the Evidence Points to Preston Lowe</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Preston Lowe swears he doesn’t drive a fancy sports car and wear aviator sunglasses with reflective lenses that he can whip off his face when making a revealing statement about evidence. But he is a forensic scientist for the FBI. <a href="/live/news/1549-all-the-evidence-points-to-preston-lowe" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/191-marsha-wagoner-kayaking-into-the-sunset"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,3200,2400/1727_IMG-4387.rev.1513886589.JPG" alt="Marsha Wagoner at Farmer's Hardware in Sparta, NC." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,3200,2400/1727_IMG-4387.rev.1513886589.JPG 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,3200,2400/1727_IMG-4387.rev.1513886589.JPG 3x" data-max-w="3200" data-max-h="2400"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/191-marsha-wagoner-kayaking-into-the-sunset">Marsha Wagoner: Kayaking into the sunset??</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">After 80 years in business, Farmer’s Hardware in Sparta is saying goodnight. <a href="/live/news/191-marsha-wagoner-kayaking-into-the-sunset" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/997-josh-von-castle-receives-peace-award"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/925,276,1944,1296/6935_Peace_Award_Photo_3.rev.1569538189.jpg" alt="Josh von Castle receives Peace Award at annual SEAHO conference." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/925,276,1944,1296/6935_Peace_Award_Photo_3.rev.1569538189.jpg 2x" data-max-w="1019" data-max-h="1020"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/997-josh-von-castle-receives-peace-award">Josh Von Castle Receives Peace Award</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Josh was cited for his service and leadership. <a href="/live/news/997-josh-von-castle-receives-peace-award" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/903-headed-to-the-virginia-highlands-festival-this"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/383,118,1175,910/6560_67371737_644792832707714_971696063926763520_n.rev.1563759429.jpg" alt="Liv Jennings, E&H Class of 2019." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/383,118,1175,910/6560_67371737_644792832707714_971696063926763520_n.rev.1563759429.jpg 2x" data-max-w="792" data-max-h="792"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/903-headed-to-the-virginia-highlands-festival-this">Headed to the Virginia Highlands Festival This Week?</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Look for a 2019 E&H grad (Liv Jennings) who’s making the event thrive! <a href="/live/news/903-headed-to-the-virginia-highlands-festival-this" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/311-obituaries-updated-feb-9-2018"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,2400/3379_IMG-3500.rev.1519759241.JPG" alt="Fall day at Emory & Henry College." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,2400/3379_IMG-3500.rev.1519759241.JPG 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,2400,2400/3379_IMG-3500.rev.1519759241.JPG 3x" data-max-w="2400" data-max-h="2400"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/311-obituaries-updated-feb-9-2018">Obituaries: Updated Feb. 9, 2018</a></h4></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1853-talena-cox-williams-is-headed-to-the-olympics"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/40,0,846,806/9866_Talena_Williams.rev.1621875038.jpg" alt="Talena Cox Williams, Emory & Henry Class of 1995." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/40,0,846,806/9866_Talena_Williams.rev.1621875038.jpg 2x" data-max-w="806" data-max-h="806"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1853-talena-cox-williams-is-headed-to-the-olympics">Talena Cox Williams is Headed to the Olympics</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Talena Cox Williams has graduated….to the Olympics! <a href="/live/news/1853-talena-cox-williams-is-headed-to-the-olympics" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/312-class-notes-updated-nov-2017"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,720,960/3380_gate.rev.1519759668.jpg" alt="E&H campus gates on a foggy morning." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,720,960/3380_gate.rev.1519759668.jpg 2x" data-max-w="720" data-max-h="960"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/312-class-notes-updated-nov-2017">Class Notes: Updated Nov. 2017</a></h4></div>
- <div class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1131-katelyn-bland-clark-on-using-film-for-social"><img src="/live/image/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,1024,1024/7384_UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_aa.rev.1580228191.jpg" alt="Katelyn Clark, E&H Class of 2010." class="lw_image" width="345" height="225" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/68/width/345/height/225/crop/1/src_region/0,0,1024,1024/7384_UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_aa.rev.1580228191.jpg 2x" data-max-w="1024" data-max-h="1024"/></a></span></div><div class="lw_widget_text"><h4 class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1131-katelyn-bland-clark-on-using-film-for-social">Katelyn Bland-Clark on Using Film for Social Justice</a></h4><div class="lw_news_summary">Katelyn is a development associate for an organization giving voice to underserved film artists. <a href="/live/news/1131-katelyn-bland-clark-on-using-film-for-social" class="link-with-arrow gold">Keep reading</a></div></div>