Emory & Henry History and Finding Aids
The Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church – forerunner of the United Methodist Church – along with material and monetary assistance from citizens of Washington County and the surrounding region, established Emory & Henry College in 1836, thus making it the oldest institution of higher learning in southwest Virginia. The foundation for the main building was laid on 30 September 1836. The board of trustees hired Charles Collins (1838-1852) as the institution’s first president, and classes began in the spring of 1838 with 60 students enrolled.
Over the years the College has endured both good times and bad. The College closed its doors in April 1861 when the Civil War erupted. Although the Confederate government commandeered the campus in December 1862 and used the main building as a hospital, the College suffered no serious damage as a result of the war. In fact classes resumed just four months after Lee surrendered at Appomattox.
Under the leadership of its 18th president, Dr. Charles W. Sydnor Jr. (E&H class of 1965), the College began making great strides towards becoming a premier liberal arts college. During the Sydnor years (1984-1992) Emory & Henry tripled the size of its endowment and completed a major overhaul of its infrastructure which included the renovation and expansion of the Van Dyke Center. He also wrote the plan that modernized the College’s board of trustees.
Although it is more than 50 years old, the most comprehensive history of the College remains the late Dr. George Stevenson’s Increase in Excellence: A History of Emory and Henry College (New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1963). Even though it is no longer in print, copies are available through one’s local public library via interlibrary loan. Those wishing to purchase a copy may do so by using www.bookfinder.com. It will direct one to those booksellers that have used copies for sale.
To commemorate Emory & Henry’s 175th anniversary, college archivist Robert Vejnar wrote Legacy & Vision: A Pictorial History of Emory & Henry College, which is available through the college’s bookstore. Vejnar also wrote “From a Bishop and a Patriot to a Bishop and a Saint: Rival Understandings of the Naming of Emory & Henry College” in The Smithfield Review.
Emory & Henry College History
- Increase in Excellence: A History of Emory & Henry College by George Stevenson (1963)
- Legacy and Vision: A Pictorial History of Emory & Henry College by Robert Vejnar (2011)
- Aletheian Literary Society (1927 Sphinx)
- Calliopean Society (1911 Sphinx)
- Emory & Henry Forty Years Ago by Bishop E.E. Hoss (Emory & Henry Era, April 1911)
- Emory & Henry Before the War by Dr. David Sullins (Emory & Henry Era, April 1911)
- Emory & Henry During the War by H.C. Lowry (Emory & Henry Era, April 1911)
- Emory & Henry Today by J.E. Mallonee (Emory & Henry Era, April 1911)
- Emory & Henry College Historical Register 1837-1887
- Hermesian Literary Society (1911 Sphinx)
- Letter From Mrs. J.E.B. Stuart (Emory & Henry Era, April 1911)
- Thalian Literary Society (1927 Sphinx
- Time It Was: Snapshots of Emory & Henry College authored by the class members of English 101.06, Fall 2003
Archives Finding Aids
Below are finding aids to those collections within the College archives that have been processed and are available for researchers to use.