Summer Scholars Junior Counselor
The role of the Junior Counselor is to assist counselors and instructors in all aspects of the Summer Scholars Program. Junior Counselors will work with students who are in the Summer Scholars Institute who are rising 6th-9th grades. During the morning, afternoon, and evening academic classes, Junior Counselors will also be assigned to classrooms to assist instructors. Junior counselors are to be a role-model for all students. Junior Counselors do not pay tuition in lieu of the services they provide during the week.
Dates: June 17-22, 2018 (Orientation Meeting June 16, 12 pm noon, Emory & Henry College)
Salary: $300 (Room & Board Included)
Counselors work directly with camp directors and have the following responsibilities:
- Supervise 10-12 children (grades 6-9 or 10-12) 24 hours/day.
- Accompany students to meals, classes, scheduled activities, field trips, and special events.
- Plan and lead afternoon and evening recreational /social activities for small groups of students.
- Participate in all orientation and exit activities.
- Follow and reinforce all non-negotiable rules and program policies.
What does a typical day look like and what is the time commitment?
Counselors are employed from Saturday, June 16, 2018, until Friday, June 22, 2018. A mandatory orientation session will be held on Saturday, June 16, beginning at 12 pm noon on the campus of Emory & Henry College. Following the departure of students on Friday, June 22, counselors will meet to conclude details of the program.
- 7:45-8:30 am: Breakfast; Van Dyke
- 9-11 am: Project; Assigned Classrooms
- 11:30 am-12 pm: Lunch; Van Dyke
- 12:15-2:15 pm: Project; Assigned Classrooms
- 2:15-3:15 pm: Supervised Free Time- campers must check in with counselor
- 3:15-4:45 pm: Recreation; Assigned locations
- 5-6 pm: Dinner; Van Dyke
- 6:30- 7:30 pm: Night Classes; assigned classrooms
- 7:45-9:15 pm: Evening Activity
- 9:45 pm: Hall Meetings; Assigned Halls
- 10:45 pm: Lights out
Counselor Application Process:
Applications can be submitted online at the online form below.
- January 25-April 21, 2018: Counselor Applications Accepted
- April 21, 2018: Acceptance Letters and Contracts Sent by Email
- May 1, 2018: Contracts Due