Dr. Castleberry is an actively practicing clinician and academician. With over 25 years of physical therapy experience in a variety of settings and roles, Dr. Castleberry integrates her passion for neurologic rehabilitation and geriatric successful living strategies into the Falls Prevention Center and into the classrooms. She has held offices within the American Physical Therapy Association’s Academy of Neurology and within the Virginia Physical Therapy Association. In addition to professional organizations, Dr. Castleberry plays a crucial role in serving on the Board for Brain Services of Services of Southwest Virginia with research, funding and program development.
Since coming to the School of Health Sciences in July 2016, Dr. Castleberry has created and fostered the Falls Prevention Center as a lifespan approach to wellness, mobility, and health serving individuals and providing community-based programs. In conjunction with clinical services, Dr. Castleberry serves on the Research Committee, mentors students and faculty, serves as chair and as co-chair of Department of Physical Therapy’s Search Committees ,and serves as co-chair of the Department of Physical Therapy’s CAPTE self-study, and actively serves on the Department of Physical Therapy committees for Admission, Curricular Review, Research, Curriculum Committee, Professional Behavior, and ad hoc committees with curricular content mapping and clinical application of the basic sciences.
- Certified Dementia Practitioner (CDP) by the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners (2016-2018)
- Certified Edema Specialist (CES): the Certificate of Achievement in Oncology Physical Therapy (CAOPT), Oncology Section of the American Board of Physical Therapy, 2016
- Board specialty certification by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) in Neurology (NCS): June 2014-2024
- Board specialty certification by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) in Geriatrics (GCS): June 2013-2023
- Advanced certification LSVT-BIG Certification and recertification in the large amplitude movement therapy for neurologically impaired individuals with specific emphasis with those who suffer from Parkinson’s disease. (June 2014 - Present)
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist, LANA and Monarch Education, Certification for lymphedema therapy (April 2013 - Present)
Membership in Scientific/Professional Organizations
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) member (1993 to present):
- Geriatric, Neurology & Education sections member of the APTA (2012 to present) Neurology Section: Elected Chairperson of the Stroke SIG
- (June 2014 – June 2017)
- Recruitment of members, CSM educational programming and assessment,
- educational outreach activities, budgetary considerations, collaboration with APTA sections and the Neurology Section leadership Neurology Section CSM 2015 and 2016 programming committee member
- Oncology Section of the APTA: 2015-2016 Certified Edema Specialist program development of the Certificate of Achievement in Oncology Physical Therapy (CAOPT) 2015-2016 program committee member and instructor.
- Virginia Physical Therapy Association: member and membership committee member Founding member of the Geriatric Special Interest Group of the VPTA Leadership Conference and Meeting, March 17-18, 2017.
- Doctor of Health Science (DSc)- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
August 2017- in progress
Transitional Doctor of Physical Therapy (t-DPT)- Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- May 2011
Master of Science in Physical Therapy (M.S. PT) - Duke University
- M.S. PT
- May 1993
- Bachelor of Science in Biology- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Biology with concentrations in Microbiology and Chemistry
- May 1990
DPT 842 and 843 Critical Inquiry II, III with student capstone projects. Faculty advisor
DPT 853 Neuromuscular Physical Therapy I is the foundational course for neurologic assessment and interventions across the lifespan. Course Master, 4 credits
DPT 854 Neuromuscular Physical Therapy II emphasizes neurologic rehabilitation in a variety of settings and critical case based analysis skills. Course Master, 3 credits
DPT 863 Rural Health and Primary Care provides insights into community health issues and the role of primary care providers. Interprofessional communication and action plans are emphasized to address challenges in underserved areas. Course Master, 2 credits
Other teaching duties within the programs of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physician Assistant Studies as needed.
Prior university teaching experience includes serving as an Assistant Professor in Radford University’s DPT program from 2010-2016.
Dr. Castleberry has an active research agenda.
- Falls Prevention Center based study investigating yearly screenings
- Student led research project examining Appalachian hikers’ injuries
- Student led research project advocating for periodic screening for individuals with chronic conditions such as Parkinson’s disease.
Current Funded Research Projects
- Castleberry, Julia M (co-PI) & Williams, Stephanie (co-PI), EHC Summer Grant Program, Pilot study to assess the health issues faced by thru hikers on the Appalachian Trail. Study May 2017 - on-going
- Castleberry, Julia M (co-PI) & Anderson, Karen (co-PI), Chronic management of disease though exercise. Carilion Clinic’s Wellness Center, longitudinal study with recruitment by 12 week program groups (Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and Obesity). January 2017 to present with program support by Carilion Clinic with yearly submission of results
- Castleberry, Julia M (Supporting), “CLiC-Wounded Warrior Program” (Funded), Sponsored by Brain Injury Services of Southwest Virginia, State/Federal, (August 2015 - July 2016). “Community Living Connection,” and is a ten-session tele-health program designed to rehabilitate and teach social, cognitive, and community living skills to veterans who have sustained traumatic brain injury. Our current project has received additional funding from the Wounded Warriors Project and involves pilot research to determine whether a series of online CLiC sessions can enhance veterans’ functioning in these domains.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Castleberry, J.M. (2017). Clinically useful resources. Academy of Neurology, APTA website. Accepted and pending publication.
- Castleberry, J. M. (2017). Intensity guidelines for stroke rehabilitation. Academy of Neurology, APTA website. Accepted and pending publication.
- Harper, B., Siyufy, A., Castleberry, J., Mickle, A., Jagger, K., & Cox, K. (2015). Clinical experiences using a hit impact indicator in youth football. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training. E-access: http://thesportjournal.org/article/clinical-experiences-using-a-hit-impact-indicator-in-youth-football/
- Castleberry, J. (2015). Introduction to Lymphedema Therapy Techniques, Manual of basic skills for non-pathological edema management. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field keywords=castleberry++lymphedema&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acastleberry++lymphe dema
- Castleberry, J. (2014). Lymphedema Therapy in Stroke Rehabilitation. APTA’s Neurology Section, September, 2014. Newsletter and featured article on the Stroke SIG webpage. Retrieved from http://neuropt.org/special-interest-groups/stroke
- Castleberry, J. (2014). Sleep Apnea screening for stroke rehabilitation. APTA’s Neurology Section. August 2014. Newsletter and featured article on the Stroke SIG webpage. Retrieved from http://neuropt.org/special-interest-groups/stroke
- Castleberry, J. (2014). Concussion, beyond athletes. Journal of Physical Therapy Practice.1. Retrieved from http://www.journals.radford.edu/index/JPTP
Peer Reviewed Scientific and Professional Presentations: Invited
- Castleberry, J.M., Virginia Physical Therapy Association’s Annual Conference, (October, 2017). Seminar: Update Your Stroke Interventions Toolbox, Newport News, VA.
- Castleberry, J. M., Virginia Physical Therapy Association- Mountain District Continuing Education (April, 2017). Update Your Stroke Interventions Toolbox, Wytheville, VA.
- Castleberry, J.M., Umbarger, L., & Wolpert, C., 9th Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy (CHEP) (February, 2017).Three Fledgling Health Professional Programs Demystify Interprofessional Education, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Castleberry, J.M. & Wolpert, C. VPTA 2016 Annual Conference (2016) Impact of Generational Perceptions on Individuals and Families with Genetic Disorders which Impair Mobility, Poster presentation, October 8, 2016, Chantilly, VA.
- Castleberry, J. M. (Organizer and Presenter) PT/PTA Symposium with Jefferson College of Health Sciences PTA program. Roanoke, VA
- First symposium held on October 17, 2013. Second symposium held on October 16, 2014 and the Third symposium held October 15, 2015.
- Castleberry, J. (April, 2016). Student Capstone Poster: Multimedia Home Exercise Program Influence on Quality of Life in Persons with Parkinson’s disease. Peer reviewed poster presentation at the 3rd. Annual Waldron College Interprofessional Symposium & Expo. Radford, VA, April 12, 2016. Castleberry, J. (September, 2015). Prevention of Falls. Presentation at the Annual Fall Prevention Conference- Southwest Virginia Fall Prevention Coalition. Roanoke, VA, September 25, 2015.
- Lephrew C., Schmidt, T., Moore, M., Casazza, J., Harper, B., Castleberry, J., & Aron, A. (May 2015). Identifying risk factors of injury in adolescent soccer players. Poster presentation at the American College of Sports Medicine’s 62nd Annual Meeting. May 26-30, 2015.
- Castleberry, J. (May, 2015). Signs of Stroke. Podcast published by the APTA, May 2015. http://www.moveforwardpt.com/Radio/Detail.aspx?cid=14c03bc8-5c3e-425c- 8f2ef729d88a82cd#.VVILxOG3d9M
- Castleberry, J. M. (Author & Presenter), National lecture tour, “Evidence-Based Stroke Interventions: Creating a Toolbox to Assess ad Address Co-morbidities for Functional Stroke Recovery,” Summit Education, Private Organizations, Nationwide, May 2015.
- Castleberry, J. & Cross, A. (April, 2015). Lymphedema Management. Poster session presentation at Radford University’s 24th Student Engagement Forum, Radford, VA, April 22, 2015.
- Harper, B., Cox, K., Mickle, A., Siyufy, A., Castleberry, Waff, A., & Coble, J. (April, 2015). Monitoring Concussion Risk Using Reebok CHECKLIGHTTM. Poster session presentation at the 2nd Annual Waldron College Interprofessional Symposium & Expo, Radford, VA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015.
- Kohut, M., Maness, A., Zeisler, S., & Castleberry, J. (April, 2015). Pilot Study to Determine if There is a Correlation Between the Perception of Falls using the Center For Disease Control and Prevention’s Stopping Elderly, Accidents, Deaths, and Injuries (STEADI). Check Your Risk for Falling Questionnaire and the Timed Up and Go (TUG) Test Scores in the Community Dwelling Older Adult Population in Southwestern Virginia. Poster presentation at Radford University’s Inaugural Geriatric Symposium on April 10, 2015.
- Castleberry, J. (2014) Evidence-Based Stroke Interventions: Creating a Toolbox to Assess and Address Co-morbidities for Functional Stroke Recovery. Summit Education and private consultations. National lecturer series for 2014.
- Castleberry, J. M. (Author & Presenter), Annual Falls Prevention Conference, “How You Can Prevent Falls,” New River Community College, AOA, Workforce, NRCC-Dublin, VA. (September 26, 2014). Fall presentation for mixed audience highlighting ways individuals can prevent falls: home safety, vision testing, exercises, and more. Peer Reviewed.
- Castleberry, J., Harper, B., Huth, R., Linville, R., Siyufy, A., Jagger, K., &Swanson, E. (2014, February). Pedagogical integration in higher education: Developing Critical Thinking Skills, Building self-confidence. Poster session presentation at the Sixth Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy (CIDER at Virginia Tech). Blacksburg, VA. February 5-7 2014.
- Castleberry, J. (2013). Introduction to Lymphedema Therapy. Presentation at the Annual Conference for Physical Therapy by Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA. October 26, 2013. Peer reviewed submission and selection process.
- Aron, A., Castleberry, J., Austin, J., Briggs, B., Zedalis, D., (2013, June). Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in cardiac rehabilitation patients. Poster session presentation at the SLEEP 2013, the 27th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, LLC. Baltimore, Maryland. June 1-5, 2013.
- Aron, A., Castleberry, J., Austin, J., Briggs, B., Zedalis, D., (2013, June). Hemodynamic variables among cardiac rehabilitations patients suspected for OSA. Poster session presentation at the SLEEP 2013, the 27th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, LLC. Baltimore, Maryland. June 1-5, 2013.
- Harper, B., Jagger, K., Castleberry, J., Siyufy, A., Huth, R., Swanson, E., & John, E. (2013, February). Developing an Autonomous Entry-Level Doctor of Physical Therapy Practitioner: The Science and Art of a Clinical Education Program. Poster session presentation at the Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy (CIDER at Virginia Tech). Blacksburg, VA. February 6-8, 2013.
- Castleberry, J. (2012, October) Update Clinical Toolbox. Presentation at the Annual Conference for Physical Therapy by Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA. October 27, 2012.
- Castleberry, J. (2012, April). How do Skilled Nursing Patients Spend Their Day? Poster session presented at the Annual Conference of the WVPTA, Roanoke, WV. April 25, 2012.
- Castleberry, J., Harper, B., Huth, R., Jagger, K., John, E., Siyufy, A., & Swanson, E. (2012, March). An Integrated Doctor of Physical Therapy Curriculum: Fulfilling a Growing Community Need. Poster session presented at the Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy (CIDER at Virginia Tech). Blacksburg, VA. March 8, 2012.
Assistant Professor in the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program
Tenure track, Graduate Faculty Appointed (2016-2021)
- Program located in Roanoke, VA
- November 2010 to July 2016
Author and Presenter
- Cross Country Education and Summit Education, Seminar Instructor
- Continuing education seminars for Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, and Therapy Assistants
- Evidence-Based Stroke Interventions Toolbox, Adult Neurologic Treatment Interventions, Creative Treatment Strategies for Complex Patients, Update Your Physical Therapy Toolbox Sleep Apnea Screening for Physical Therapists Integrate Lymphedema Therapy into Your Practice, Cross Country Education and Private Consultations/Seminars, March 2005 to present
- Reliant, contract physical therapy to senior living center (Francis Manor, Marion, VA) Functional Pathways, contract physical therapy to senior living center (Warm Hearth Village)
- Provides clinical services on an as needed basis (PRN) Blacksburg, VA
- February 2016 to present
- Carilion Clinic’s liaison with Radford University’s DPT program
- Carilion Clinic Rehabilitation services: Inpatient Rehab Unit physical therapy regular PRN scheduled clinical services, Roanoke, Virginia
- October 2012 to October 2013; Liaison from 2012 to 2016
- Heritage Hall Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and Genesis Rehabilitative Services; Provides clinical services and mentorship to pre-therapy volunteers and internship students Nursing Home setting with skilled nursing rehab unit and outpatient clinic in Blacksburg and Radford, Virginia from 2004 to 2013