March 9, 2020-COVID-19 Coronavirus Update to EHC Sponsored Travel
Faculty and Staff,
Please read this email in its entirety as it contains important information regarding college-sponsored travel moving forward through the end of the academic year.
Please know that, ultimately, decisions will be made to best protect the College from any type of significant closure, extended break from classes, and/or disruption to our normal day-to-day operations.
In making the following decisions, the COVID-19 Task Force considered the CDC Guidance on College/University international travel, considered what other institutions are doing, examined what EAB is providing us as our consultants, and have been in contact with CICV and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Effective March 9th, 2020, Emory & Henry College is canceling international programming such as spring break programs, internships, and field-based research. Given the quickly evolving nature of COVID-19, there are serious risks of travel disruptions as well as potential exposure to COVID-19. Those who choose to engage in individual travel internationally and return from or transit through a country that is rated as a CDC Level 2 or 3 will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days, and those returning from or transit through a CDC Level 1 will be required to self-observe for 14 days before returning to campus.
- For faculty and staff whose programs are impacted by these spring break cancellations - please work to communicate with your students that changes have occurred. Please work directly with The Business Office to consider the financial implications of the trip.
- Effective March 9th, 2020, Emory & Henry College is placing an indefinite moratorium on all international travel. Given the quickly evolving nature of COVID-19, there are serious risks of travel disruptions as well as potential exposure to COVID-19. As a result, all international travel related to college functions is to cease.
- For faculty and staff engaging in study abroad trips after the semester ends, please see Dr. Celeste Gaia for more information.
- All future domestic travel that is not already planned should not occur through the remainder of the academic year.
- A planned trip means that any or all of the following has occurred: hotels/motels have been booked and/or paid for; flights have been booked and/or paid for; rental cars have been booked and/or paid for; conference fee have been paid for.
- We currently have three students that are abroad in two different countries. Should those countries have their threat level raised to Level II or Level III, we will require that those students immediately end their study abroad trip.