Organization and institutions
- Capitalize the full names of organizations and institutions: the American Medical Association, First Presbyterian Church.
- Subsidiaries: Capitalize the names of major subdivisions: the Pontiac Motor Division of General Motors.
- Internal Elements: Use lower case for internal elements of an organization when they have names that are widely used generic terms: the board of directors of General Motors.
- Capitalize internal elements of an organization when they have names that are not widely used generic terms: the General Assembly of the World Council of Churches.
- Flip-flopped names: Retain capital letters when commonly accepted practice flops a name to delete a word of: College of the Holy Cross = Holy Cross College.
- Abbreviations & acronyms: Some organizations and institutions recognized by abbreviation: GOP, NAACP, NATO