Protections in Place for COVID 19
The safety of our faculty, staff, and students, as well as the members our Southwest Virginia community is very important to us. We are currently exploring processes for allowing in person research in limited circumstances for Fall 2020 that are in line with our Virginia Department of Education approved re-opening plan. Until a plan for in-person research procedures is approved by Emory & Henry College, all open protocols should only be conducting research using remote procedures (e.g., Qualtrics surveys, interviews via video-chat, etc.). We should have an update to this soon.
In the meantime, please see our current operating policy concerning in-person procedures for human subjects research.
The IRB currently allows for the following encrypted platforms to be used for video conference calls with research participants: Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp, and FaceTime.
Security Tips for Using Zoom:
- When scheduling your meeting
- During your meeting:
- Remove and or manage participants.
- Lock your meetingonce all your participants have joined to avoid uninvited guests.
- Keep control of your screen. Currently this is a default setting for your FIU Zoom account, but if you need to allow someone to share their screen, you can do so by making them a co-host.
- If recording videos, avoid using the Zoom Cloud Recording Storage. Instead use the Local Storage option, which stores the recordings on your own device (i.e., laptop or computer).
- More tips here:
Maintaining Anonymity with Zoom:
- For the Host
- Go to Zoom Settings section. Under the Telephone subtab: Enable Mask phone number in the participant list.
- When scheduling a meeting, turn off “video” for participants.
- For the Participant
- When the participant joins a Zoom meeting, they will see a screen “Join a Meeting.” and a box with their name in it. They can change their name in the box before joining a meeting to maintain anonymity.