Encountering the liberal arts through engaging events on campus.
Guidance for May 2020 graduates will continue to be updated based on Emory & Henry’s COVID-19 plan. Please contact email@example.com with questions about the Lyceum requirement.
In light of Lyceum events being canceled through the end of this semester, the Lyceum Committee met has decided the following:
- Five lyceum credits will be waived from the total required for ALL current students.
- Given that 13 Lyceum events were originally planned between the (original) end of spring break and the most recent extended April deadline for obtaining Lyceum credits, all seniors intending to graduate in Spring 2020 who are 13 or fewer Lyceum credits short will be allowed to graduate. In this allowance, the college administration assumes that you would have attended all 13 of those events.
- If you are a senior with 20 or more Lyceum credits to complete, you must finish those in the fall. If you have slightly over 13 Lyceum credits to complete, you may contact the Lyceum Committee chair Professor Jamie Ferguson firstname.lastname@example.org to see what extra assignments you can do for Lyceum credits.
Each year, Emory & Henry features close to 100 concerts, lectures, theatre and dance performances, films, exhibits, and poetry readings that help to complete your academic experience. The vast majority of these events are part of the college’s popular Lyceum program. In addition, we host a literary festival and several endowed lecture series.
You are admitted free to all events with the exception of Barter Theatre plays, for which your ticket price is discounted (*see note below about using your student discount for Barter tickets). You must present your E&H ID (or other photo identification) both before and after each on-campus event for which you want Lyceum credit. When attending eligible Arts Array films at the Cinemall or plays at the Barter Theatre, you must scan your ID card with the E&H faculty/staff member who is present.
Spring 2020 Dates for Arts Array films for Lyceum credit: *All showings are at 7:30 p.m. Contact Mark Finney for more information.
Spring 2020 Dates for Barter plays for Lyceum credit: *Students who wish to reserve tickets for Lyceum-credit dates, using their student discount, should call the Barter Theater group sales office (276-619-5453 or 276-619-5406) at least one week prior to the performance. Explain that you are an E&H student using your student discount for a Lyceum event. After that, and for all other Barter play dates, you must wait until the day of the show to purchase using your student discount. (Tickets are usually available.) Contact Rachael Swartz for more information.
Instructions on how to propose a Lyceum Event:
- Classrooms, lobbies and auditoriums in academic buildings: Marywood Sparks x 6201
- King Center: Anne Crutchfield x 6233
- Van Dyke, Martin-Brock, Alumni House, Tobias Smith, Byars: Teresa Wood x 6242
- Chapel: Mary K. Briggs x 6836
- McGlothlin Center for the Arts: Will Hankins x 6816
E&H Faculty/Administrator: Fill out the Lyceum Proposal Form.
The proposal form MUST be filled out by your faculty/administrator sponsor. Proposal forms from student email accounts will not be considered. Only the electronic form is needed if your proposal is turned in before the deadline.
Lyceum proposals for Spring semester are due Dec. 1st. at 12 noon. Fall proposals are due on May 1st at noon. If you would like to submit a proposal after the deadline: Fill out the Lyceum Exemption Form. A hard copy with signatures of all Lyceum Committee members MUST be submitted to Jamie Ferguson. Electronic copies will not be accepted.
Committee members 2019-2020: Lisa Withers, James Dawsey, Jamie Ferguson, Michael Lane, Ed Davis, and Mary K. Briggs.
Ask Professor Ferguson (phone x6558, MS Hall 313, email@example.com).