The Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts fulfills Emory & Henry College’s mission to increase excellence by utilizing the arts to affirm the liberal arts curriculum. A variety of activities are offered that contribute to the intellectual growth of our students by challenging ideas and issues that lead to critical thinking. With state-of-the-art technology, the McGlothlin Center for the Arts is a home to complement classroom studies with a professional performing art series and gallery schedule, as well as, student and faculty presentations in music, theatre and the visual arts
The McGlothlin Story
The Woodrow W. McGlothlin Center for the Arts honors the memory of Mr. McGlothlin, a 1937 Emory & Henry graduate and longtime beloved benefactor of the College. Lead gifts for the McGlothlin Center were provided through the personal generosity of Mr. McGlothlin and the McGlothlin Foundation.
The McGlothlin Center for the Arts features:
- 47,367 square-feet of space
- 461-seat Main Stage Theatre
- 120-seat Black Box Theatre
- MCA Art Gallery
- Dressing rooms & production areas
- Theatre department faculty and art center staff offices
- Studios for radio station WEHC-90.7FM
WEHC is a non-commercial station, licensed to Emory & Henry College by the Federal Communications Commission. We broadcast at nearly 9,000 watts to a five-county area in Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee.
The station is chartered as an independent enterprise of Emory & Henry College to fulfill the station’s federal licensing requirements of serving the community’s public interest, convenience, and necessity. Our goal is to present high-quality programming as part of a forum for a wide range of issues and views, to share information about Emory & Henry academics and athletic activities, to provide entertainment, and to showcase the distinct culture and arts of our region.
The MCA Art Gallery hosts rotating visual arts exhibits by emerging and nationally acclaimed artists. The artists who work are a wide array of quality art media and philosophies with the primary intent of introducing exhibitions not normally seen in our region. These visiting artists actively interact with art students during their campus visits, which also include a major lecture delivered as part of the college’s Lyceum program. The rotating schedule features three artists each semester.
- Box Office Hours: Tickets may be purchased in person at the box office in the McGlothlin Center for the Arts, by phone at 276.944.6333, or online. The box office is open 9:30-11:00 am and 1:00-5:00 pm, Monday - Friday and an hour before each performance.
- MCA Art Gallery Hours: 12:00 - 5:00pm Monday - Saturday
- Parking: Free parking is available in the MCA parking lot.
- Late Seating: Performances in the McGlothlin Center for the Arts theatres will begin promptly at the scheduled time. Doors open 30 minutes prior to the performance. Late seating will take place at the first appropriate moment in the program, at the house management’s discretion. Latecomers may be seated in the back.
- ADA Special Assistance: The McGlothlin Center for the Arts facilities are accessible to all of our patrons. Patrons with disabilities and their companions will be accommodated through wheelchair seating, accessible parking and other special requests throughout all levels of the theatres. If accessible seats are needed, please call the box office at 276.944.6333. Assisted listening devices are available. Service animals are permitted. Large-print programs are available with advance notification.
- Closures for Holidays: The McGlothlin Center for the Arts will close for major holidays and breaks according to Emory & Henry Colleges academic schedule. Please visit the E&H website or call the box office for more information.
- Inclement weather: McGlothlin Center for the Arts performances and special events will only be canceled for inclement weather in extreme cases. If a performance must be canceled due to weather, we will send an email to all ticket holders and call patrons for whom we have no email address. Please call the box office for timely information about closures due to inclement weather.
The McGlothlin Center for the Arts at Emory & Henry College is seeking alumni and community volunteers to help regularly with the operations of the facility. Volunteers would serve as gallery attendants during normal business hours of 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and as ushers for live theatre and music performances in the evening and on weekends
Gallery attendants answer questions about exhibitions, provide information about gallery rules and guidelines, guide patrons, and occasionally assist visiting school groups.
Ushers arrive one hour before a performance, assist patrons in finding seats, distribute programs, answer questions and assist with clean-up after a performance. For more information or to sign-up to volunteer, call 276-944-6810 or e-mail.