How to Apply for Grants
Please review the following processes for applying for grants, and contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (main contact: firstname.lastname@example.org) for clarification.
To seek external funding as an employee of E&H, please use one of the following processes:
1. Complete the External Funding Exploration Request form . The purpose of this form is to notify the Director of Grant Relations and the Grants Team of your interest in possibly pursuing grant funding for a proposed project/program when one has not already identified a potential funding source. Once received by the Office of Sponsored Programs, members of the Grants Team will begin searching for potential funding opportunities for the project. A member of the team will act as the point of contact between the interested employee and the Grants Team and will provide the faculty/staff member with pertinent grant funding sources and information regarding the proposed project/program. The faculty/staff member will then decide whether or not to pursue a potential funding source.
2. If interested employees have already identified a potential funding source and wish to pursue it, they should refer to the steps for Grant Permission/Intent to Apply for External Funding process outlined below.
Grant Application Permission Process
1. If a grant is for $5,000 or less, you are not required to seek approval prior to applying for it. However, the College requests that you notify the Grants Team when you submit an application for a grant of this size with this form.
2. If a grant is over $5,000 and/or requires a cost match by the college, the faculty/staff member must complete an Intent to Apply for External Funding form and receive approval before applying for the grant.
Steps to submit Intent to Apply for External Funding:
- Complete the form and include a draft budget for review as well as the grant solicitation, description of the grant, and application materials as are available.
Faculty should obtain signed endorsement of department chair and their division chair or program director. Staff should obtain signed endorsement of their immediate supervisor and their upline Director or Vice-President.
- Submit the form via email to the OSP at email@example.com for presentation to the Grants Team.
If you have any questions about the form, or are unable to access the form from this site, please contact OSP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approval of Intent to Apply for External Funding
1. The OSP team will review the form for presentation to the Grants Team for approval.
2. Once approved by the Grants team, a subcommittee of the executive council reviews and approves the request to apply for the grant.
3. The Director of Grants Relations will email the applicant indicating approval of the Executive Council to move forward with the grant application.
Applying for the Grant
- Upon approval to apply for a grant, it is the faculty/staff member’s responsibility to ensure that all parties involved in the project have the appropriate time to assist in the proposal. For example, any letters of support need to be obtained early in the process. If a letter of support from the College President is required, provide a draft to the Director of Grant Relations a minimum of 15 days before the proposal deadline.
- The Director of Grant Relations will submit all foundation and private funding source proposals on behalf of Emory & Henry College. The Director of Compliance Research and Grants will submit all federal applications.