Hiking Institute for Adults
If you’ve wanted to experience the adventure and physical activity of hiking, but weren’t sure where and how to begin — this may be just the right answer. Sign up today!
E&H Hiking Institute for Adults will offer participants an immersion in hiking and backcountry skills. Participants will make miles, but the E&H Outdoor Program fosters a value for taking the necessary amount of time to observe flora and fauna and ponder the breathtaking views that only the Appalachian Mountains of Southwestern Virginia afford. Hike on!
What to Expect
The multi-day workshop will begin with equipment and hiking skills demonstrations. The experience will conclude with an overnight backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. Finally, celebrate in Trail Days, the largest gathering of backpackers in the United States! Cost for the workshop will be $350, which includes lodging on the Emory & Henry campus.
Participants will gain foundational instruction in:
- Leave-No-Trace backcountry ethics
- Layering systems and a brief introduction to thermodynamics
- Backpacks and effective pack packing.
- Shelter systems
- Backcountry cooking and the value of eating well in the woods
- Risk management associated with (but not limited to): weather, insects, animals, etc.