Make Your Education an Adventure of a Lifetime
The Semester-A-Trail Program is a unique opportunity for students who seek a learning experience that goes well beyond the classroom. Students in the program earn college credit while attempting a thru-hike or long section hike of the Appalachian Trail. The experience offers students a synthesis of academic learning and outdoor adventure in an intensive, goal-oriented journey, immersing students in real-world competencies and challenges that build skills that last a lifetime.
“The Semester-A-Trail provides and excellent opportunity for meshing academic learning with a big experiential journey, a very physical journey that connects learning and growth to life.” — Jim Harrison.
The Semester-A-Trail Program offers students the opportunity to build independent studies and projects with broadened field-based implications.
Beyond Academics, What’s Included?
- Students in the Semester-A-Trail Program complete a wilderness first aid course
- Students engage in immersive skill-building workshops and training
- A complete thru-hiking kit is provided that includes top of the line backpacking gear and footwear
- An on-trail hiking budget is provided
- Program staff provide on-trail support for hikers
- While on campus, students enjoy the College’s outdoor program facilities and activities
A student may transfer in from any college just for the Semester-A-Trail Program. This option allows students to retain their enrollment privileges at their current academic institution while enjoying the benefits of being an E&H student.
Upon completion of the Semester-A-Trail, dual-enrollment students return to their institution of origin with the college credits earned during the Semester-A-Trail as quality transferable credits and newfound skills!