Healthcare Careers Camps
Encouraging a new generation of healthcare professionals.
Emory & Henry College will hold its fourth annual Healthcare Careers Camps for rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
WEEK I: June 6-10, 2022
WEEK II: June 13-17, 2022 (Special Topic: Nursing)
WEEK III: June 20-24, 2022
This year, we will also offer three site options each week! Students can attend a basecamp in either Emory or Marion, Virginia.
A residential option is also available for students who wish to stay on the Emory & Henry campus for the week during the camp.
**The Emory basecamp & residential camp for weeks 1 & 2 are now full.** Please select other weeks or sites if you plan to attend in person.
Students who are interested in exploring healthcare careers such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant, nursing, athletic training, pharmacy, optometry, dentistry, chiropractic, medicine, or veterinary medicine are encouraged to attend the camp.
Students choose to attend a number of ways either virtually or with in-person observations as a commuter or with on-campus housing. Several health professions will be featured each day.
Tuition for residential students living on the Emory Campus: $400/week Tuition includes morning in-person & online sessions, afternoon clinical observation, evening activities, three meals a day, and housing.
Tuition for commuter students includes in-person and online morning sessions, lunch, and afternoon sessions: $100/week. Students arrive at basecamp of choice with their own transportation and the camp provides transportation to clinical sites and back to basecamp for guardian pickup.
Tuition for online-only morning sessions: $40/week
Spaces are limited and on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please contact D.C. Cobler for questions regarding camp tuition. Scholarships are available to support partial or full tuition. These funds are need-based aid. The program is supported through grant funding provided by Cigna.
About the camp days:
Online Morning Sessions: 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. ET
Each week-long experience is comprised of an online classroom component daily from 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (ET) delivered via Zoom.
- The online sessions feature speakers from a wide range of healthcare fields.
- To attend the online sessions only, Tuition is $40 per week.
- Faculty members from Emory & Henry’s Health Sciences Campus, including faculty in the Exercise Science and Nursing programs, as well as local healthcare providers will lead the academic sessions. In addition, while participating in the camp, students will have the opportunity to gain knowledge about specific healthcare professions.
On-Site Morning Sessions: 9:00 am- 12:00 pm ET
- On-Site students will join the online participants for the Online speakers from the basecamp site.
- While participating in the camp, students will have the opportunity to gain knowledge about specific healthcare professions.
On-Site Afternoon Observations: 1:30-4:00 p.m. EST
This camp provides students with observation opportunities at several local healthcare facilities in Smyth & Washington counties and our clinical simulation lab and cadaver lab to experience the field first-hand. Each student will choose their basecamp for the week’s clinical sites either Emory or Marion.
Students choose one basecamp per week
- Emory, Virginia Basecamp: Features healthcare sites in Emory, Glade Spring, Meadowview, and Abingdon. Basecamp is located at Hickory Hall at Emory & Henry College, Emory Campus.
- Marion, Virginia Basecamp: Features healthcare sites in Marion & Smyth County Virginia. Basecamp is located at the Emory & Henry College Health Sciences campus in Marion, Virginia.
Parents or guardians are responsible for the timely transportation of students to basecamp if choosing the commuter option. Commuter & Residential students are provided transportation from basecamps to the local healthcare facility observation sites and back to basecamp.
Evening programming for Residential Students
After dinner, residential students will engage in additional educational and social programming to enhance their professional portfolios and skills. Students will have opportunities to interact and learn from E&H faculty & staff in addition to students in both undergraduate pre-health programs and our graduate health sciences programs.
“The camp is a tremendous step toward increasing the number of healthcare providers in our region,” says J.P. Barfield, Associate Dean of the E&H School of Health Sciences and Exercise Science professor “The Pre-Health program at Emory & Henry encourages a new generation of healthcare professionals to see what’s entailed in these careers while exploring healthcare in a professional summer camp setting.”